Jamaican Jerk Rub

Started by kickedback, October 19, 2011, 07:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickedback

I tried this rub on some country style ribs the other day. I rubbed it on and let it sit for a couple hours before putting in the OBS for 2 hours of Oak
I could be considered Jamaican or Cajun, Has a nice kick to it.

1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup Hungarian paprika
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs thyme
1 tbs oregano
1 1/2 tbs black pepper
2 tsp white pepper
2-3 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp bay leaf ground.
1 tsp hot chile powder
1 tsp cumin

My measurements are never exact and I tend to add more of the spices that I think will give me the taste I'm looking for, but this is a good starting point.

mikecorn.1

I had
Authentic jerk chicken ONCE, it almost blew the top of my head off. Spicy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

This looks like a good rub; it would definitely have a kick to it. Something that I may try in the future.

This is not a criticism, but this would not be considered a jerk rub. It lacks the flavors of a jerk rub, such as allspice, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, chive and a few other ingredients. For a dry jerk rub if you can find Habanero or Scotch Bonnet powder that will give it a more authentic taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kickedback

I was kind of wondering if it was a jerk rub myself. I originally thought that I started out with a jerk rub and modified it to my likings and called it that in my post. When I went back to look up what I started with, because I was asked to post it, I realized it was more of a cajun rub. It's got some good taste and intensifies a day or two later after the meat sits. I know I have tried a jerk rub before and figure I'll try it again. Thanks for the tip. Hope you try the recipe. I think you'll like it.

Habanero Smoker

I will try it, but not sure when. Looking at the recipe I may replace some of the cayenne with more  hot chile powder such as serrano, and may reduce the cumin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kickedback

I did think a couple of the pieces were overpowered by the cumin. I think I actually put a heaping tsp in. Could you tell me where you get your spices and do you buy them in bulk? Thanks, Jeff

Habanero Smoker

I generally will purchase my spices from Penzy's. When they don't have what I am looking for I will the check Spice Barn if they don't have it I will go to Spices, Etc. Spices Etc. has unusual stuff like powder wine, powder vinegar, powdered cheese etc  :) , besides dried fruits and vegetables. If all three don't have what I'm looking for, then its "Google Time".  :)

Depending on how often I will use the spice, I will usually purchase in bulk. I think I was on the Durkee site which stated ground spices can last up to two years of packaging, Penzy's states one year, That is a lot longer then the six months I had previously though.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kickedback

Thanks HabS, for the reply. I have Googled before, but never found these ones. Always looking for different stuff at good prices. I appreciate the help.