Why vent fully open?

Started by Nizztos, October 20, 2011, 11:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nizztos

I would like to know what the reason is for haing vent fully open when doing poultry (chicken in my case). I know it relates to humidity but I don't know what the effect on the bird is of having vent open as oposed to 1/4 or so open.

Science lesson please :)

mikecorn.1

One reason is because you want to let the moisture out quickly. Especially when doing yard bird. You can get condensation build up by the vent and have it drip down back onto the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Nizztos

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on October 20, 2011, 11:31:28 AM
One reason is because you want to let the moisture out quickly. Especially when doing yard bird. You can get condensation build up by the vent and have it drip down back onto the food.

So the reason is to not get drips on bird? Could that not be avoided by a catch can above bird?

My reason for asking all of this is that I can't seem to get temp up, sitting at 200F, with vent fully open so looking trying to figure out if I can get by with vent not fully open.

I guess there is always the trial and error way but if the answer is already out there ...

mikecorn.1

I read on one thread here recently that when you close the vent, the actual moisture in the cabinet will rob you of heat in due to something
I can't explain cause I'm supposed to be working and I'm on the forum again. :D. You low temps could be
Caused by other factors like wind, loose connections or even using an extension cord or non dedicated outlet to the Bradley.
Others should be by to bail my butt out of this one :) have to get back to work :D.

Mike

Wildcat

I would keep the vent open a minimum of 3/4. The moisture will absorb a lot of your heat if not open enough. If you are not in a windy environment, the bird is at room temp or higher, and your unit is set for maximum heat output, then perhaps something is wrong with the unit. Are you using an extension cord?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

I've actually wondered that myself at times, especially after running the numbers – so to speak.  Most chicken has been enhanced and has a higher moisture content than non-enhanced chicken.  A raw chicken is about 66% water - and adding 15% enhancing will take that up to over 70%.  However, ironically, the weird thing is that beef is usually in the above 70% range,  brisket is 71% and loses more in cooking - down to mid 50%,  Chicken doesn't lose as much - it finishes off usually in the very low 60%.  Pork and Venison usually have even a little more water content in the raw meat.  Generally leaner meats have more water content than fatter meats.  So why does chicken have more of a problem?  I don't know – I wish I did.

However, the thing about moisture in the cooking chamber might be explained as follows.  It has to do with entropy and thermodynamics.  The more moisture in the air, the more heat it takes to heat up the air.  It is the heat capacity of the air.  Wet air has a greater heat capacity than dry air.  Probably because the moist air is between the heat source (element) and the meat it (the moist air) probably absorbs a good bit of the heat before it can get to the heat.  But that is not necessarily a bad thing – once heated, the heated moist air also has more conductivity and more molecules (denser) than dry air and therefore should theoretically cook the meat faster because of more hot molecules with faster heat transfer hitting the meat.  Uhhhh – can I say Texas Crutch (uuggghhhh – now I have to go wash my mouth out with soap). 

One of the two bad things about overly moist air in the Bradley is the aforementioned "black rain".  The moist air condenses on the inner cabinet surface, dissolves a little soot and smoke resins and drips onto your meat – not a particularly pretty sight – but not a "throw it away or give it to the dog" problem.  The other and worse problem is that water vapor backing up into the smoke generator and then condensing.   That has a higher probability of being a bad thing.  Condensation and moving parts and electricity don't mix so well.  That air and moisture has to go somewhere, and it is best it not go through the generator. 

Most experienced Bradley smokers will say their vents are stuck in the fully open position or just a little less.  You are not going to lose much heat with it being open. 

As already said many other factors can cause the heat to be low, including blocking the heat by a low rack location of your meat.  In an OBS the thermometer is located in the top 1/4 of the cabinet.  If you have two butts on a rack below the thermometer, they may be blocking the heat from rising to the thermometer.  There has been a lot of wind lately, that will suck the heat out.  Or how much meat you put in will definitely affect how fast the Bradley recovers heat. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I would do what Wildcat suggested, and close the vent to 3/4 open.

You didn't mention how large of a load you are smoking/cooking. That will also make a difference on how the smoker functions, but as you get closer to the finished internal temperature you should see some improvement in cabinet heat. Also you didn't mention what type of unit you are using and your heat settings.

The guideline is for chicken with skin, that is were a great deal of the moisture is located. Whether the poultry is enhanced or not, it will loose about the same amount of moisture. Cook's Illustrated did a test on brined and unbrined chicken and found that both lost about the same amount of moisture, but because the brine chicken started with more moisture, it had more moisture left in the meat.

To add to Caney's explanation, my understanding is that it takes a lot of heat energy to convert liquid into steam. If that steam is trapped and can't escape the air becomes too saturated and the steam condenses. Once this occurs the air becomes drier and able to hold more moisture, thus more heat energy is used to convert the condensed liquid into steam again. This is how vertical water smokers are able to keep lower temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Well, a science lesson was asked for and presented as Caney's second and third laws of thermodynamics - or was it the first and third?  ;D  Seriously, I mean no disrespect; all good information.

I was of the same mind when I first started.  Put some heat in a box.  OK.  Make a hole in the top.  It must let heat out.  Close the hole to keep the heat in.  Seems to make sense.

I guess the best I can do is to state that the hole in the top will let out both moisture and heat.  But, letting out the moisture component is worth it.  Steam, or very humid air will hold the temp down.

Also, keep the vent area clean or you will experience 'black rain'.  A side-mounted stack would leak down the inside or outside of a smoker but this goes right on top.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Quote from: ArnieM on October 20, 2011, 03:29:12 PM
Well, a science lesson was asked for and presented as Caney's second and third laws of thermodynamics - or was it the first and third?  ;D  Seriously, I mean no disrespect; all good information.

I was of the same mind when I first started.  Put some heat in a box.  OK.  Make a hole in the top.  It must let heat out.  Close the hole to keep the heat in.  Seems to make sense.

I guess the best I can do is to state that the hole in the top will let out both moisture and heat.  But, letting out the moisture component is worth it.  Steam, or very humid air will hold the temp down.

Also, keep the vent area clean or you will experience 'black rain'.  A side-mounted stack would leak down the inside or outside of a smoker but this goes right on top.
What Arnie said.

Sailor

I approach this from my old firefighting days.  If you have a fire inside a building you use a fog nozzle and whip it around a few times and the fire generally goes out.  Why?  ....... Because you have cooled the fire to below its ignition temp.  Hold on there Bucko you say......aren't you smothering the fire with water?   Nope!  You are converting very small droplets of water into steam.  Steam then cools the fire.  In early firefighting they used a "steam engine" and sprayed steam on flames.   If you have ever witnessed a structure fire you see dark smoke when the fire is raging.  The fire department shows up and attacks the fire and then you see the dark smoke turn to gray then to white which is steam.  The guys are getting the fire under control when you see the white smoke (steam).

When you have a smoker that has a lot of moisture the heating element is trying to convert the moisture into steam and sucking the energy from cooking the meat.  Open the vent and allow the moisture to escape will allow more heat to build to cook the meat.  Next time you start a smoke take a piece of paper towel and hold it above the vent and see how long it takes to get the paper towel damp.  This is from moisture escaping.  Bottom line is more moisture in the cabinet means less heat.  Less moisture means more heat.

Full disclosure.....my vent is stuck in full open  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

OU812

Quote from: Sailor on October 20, 2011, 07:28:30 PM
I approach this from my old firefighting days.  If you have a fire inside a building you use a fog nozzle and whip it around a few times and the fire generally goes out.  Why?  ....... Because you have cooled the fire to below its ignition temp.  Hold on there Bucko you say......aren't you smothering the fire with water?   Nope!  You are converting very small droplets of water into steam.  Steam then cools the fire.  In early firefighting they used a "steam engine" and sprayed steam on flames.   If you have ever witnessed a structure fire you see dark smoke when the fire is raging.  The fire department shows up and attacks the fire and then you see the dark smoke turn to gray then to white which is steam.  The guys are getting the fire under control when you see the white smoke (steam).

When you have a smoker that has a lot of moisture the heating element is trying to convert the moisture into steam and sucking the energy from cooking the meat.  Open the vent and allow the moisture to escape will allow more heat to build to cook the meat.  Next time you start a smoke take a piece of paper towel and hold it above the vent and see how long it takes to get the paper towel damp.  This is from moisture escaping.  Bottom line is more moisture in the cabinet means less heat.  Less moisture means more heat.

Well said!

Moisture absorbs the "energy" of the heat,,,,,,,,,,,less moisture= more heat.

In an electric smoker that is, a wood fired smoker produces its own moisture as even aged wood still contains approximately 20% moisture.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ArnieM on October 20, 2011, 03:29:12 PM
Well, a science lesson was asked for and presented as Caney's second and third laws of thermodynamics - or was it the first and third?  ;D  Seriously, I mean no disrespect; all good information...........

To be fair to Caney, and as you pointed out Nizztos did ask for a scientific answer.

Not everyone, but a lot of people do like to know some of the science behind cooking. I'm one of those people, and would not want to discourage others from asking similar types of questions. To me it makes it a little more fun, and makes me feel like I can control the cooking process better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Nizztos

Thanks a bunch!!

And yes I too like to know a bit about the science behind what goes on. My favorite cooking show is Blumenthals series of shows explaining why things are done the way he does them.

Given that I only did one small chicken (they are about 3# in my part of the world) I still think I will experiment with closing the lid a bit as I saw no signs of moisture this time. The test with a paper towel at ent sopunds like a good idea.

Also, there is a slight chance that we have less water in our chickens due to different regulations, i.e. our producers can't get away with adding the same amount as yours can. I would not bet all my money on that one though and even if that was the case there would still be a fair bit in them.

muebe

Also keep in mind that the area you live in can also have an effect. If you live in a place with high humidity the it will be more difficult for that moisture to be removed then a dryer area where I live for example. Being these smokers are mostly located outside then mother nature is also something that you must take into consideration also.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Wildcat

Quote from: Sailor on October 20, 2011, 07:28:30 PM

Wonderful short example of the science behind it all that everyone can grasp. Very well stated Sailor.

Like Habs, I also like knowing the science behind things, especially when it comes to food preparation.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/