1st try at fresh Keilbasa

Started by cjj, October 21, 2011, 03:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjj

I made my1st batch of fresh polish kielbasa  I was good  but not what I am used too I used 35mm hog casing  and it split and pulled off the meat when i baked it baked it  , also  I am used to a nice pink  polish kielbasa  this turned brown   any one have any Ideas on the split casing and the color    thanks

CoreyMac

Fresh sausage will always turn brown when cooked. The pink color is from the cure that is put in. Kielbasa is usually done as a cooked sausage in a smoker. I do kielbasa burgers all the time, same spice and just fry in a frying pan or bbq. Always cook up brown because I don't use any cure. As far as the splitting, its common for fresh sausage to split if the casings are stuffed tight.

Corey

Sailor

Yep, CoryMac has you cover on this.  If you did not use cure #1 you will not have the pink color.  As for the split casings I don't know.  Can you tell us what temp you were baking the sausage?

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

cjj

I cooked it at 350   I  was raised in  coal county  of  Pa.  our fresh  Kielbasa was always pink when cooked  and  the casing never split  baked or boiled   so you think cure # 1 will keep it pink  the casing that were used were a lot heavier then  the hog casing i uses  maybe I stuffed them to full    I guess I will have to try another batch

GusRobin

I usually stuff and then ramp the  temp up from 140 to 170-175 until the IT reaches about 155 -160. then put in a cold bath until it gets back to about 110. Then I let it sit out and bloom. If you put this at 350* from the start you probably had it "fat out"
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.