PVC on smoker.

Started by viper125, October 22, 2011, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

See some garage set ups using PVC for exhaust pipes. Has any one ever used it to connect the smoke generator to the Bradley in a cold smoke setup? Thinking the heat may not be all that much. Also wonder if the warm PVC would give the meat a taste? Just thinking if the Pipe wound be ok it would be a more permanent way to setup.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

I think it is ok to vent the smoke out with PVC but I would not use it for a cold smoking pipe...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

Yeah, abit to warm for my liking too. I just use the flexible aluminum dryer vent pipe. You could use furnace ducting for a more permenent install cause you are not worried about the loss of heat. You might not get a taste from PVC but it may taint it with no flavour. I maybe wrong and there sure are guys here who know for sure but I don't like to use it. I am even leery about PVC  for water lines. There is alot of contraversy about its use and someone told me that in the netherlands it is banned from use even in kids clothing like rubber boots and rain gear.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

beefmann

due to the higher temps of the  burn plate , i would not use  pvc pipe as i cold smoke adapter, if it were to melt you  would have contamination from the plastic on the food. metal would be best and  recomended.

pvc as a vent tube is   fine as long  as its under its  working  temp rating

3rensho

Definitely keep it away from the inlet side.  Plasticizers will leach out and you definitely don't want them in your food.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

viper125

Well that's what I figured but wanted other opinions too! Thanks all!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.