Fan Kit install and other mods(Update with Video)

Started by RFT, October 22, 2011, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFT

All mods are now done!~ 8)

Tomorrow I will run auto tune on PID and smoke some rib eyes for dinner to see how she runs.

I just put up a youtube link showing how well the door stops work. http://youtu.be/P2i3thc9z1k (Moderators, can we embed video?)
I am opening the door rather quickly and harder then I normally would to illustrate how well they protect the door from over swinging and breaking the cheap plastic hinges.

First.  Foot addition.  Funny thing. I ordered 2 extra feet from Bradley and today while I was going through the box that my replacement door came in I found another 2 feet. so I installed them. You will notice that I am using my replacement slider cover. While I still want to make one I figured I would use the replacement and see how it holds up with the extra feet installed.

door stops

Preparing to install fan kit

Fan installed

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

That should do it! Nice job on your mods ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

MidKnightRider

Looks nice, need to put my 2nd element and get a fan myself.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

mikecorn.1

Nice job on the mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

RFT

Thanks all.  I am smoking as I type.  Auto tuned the smoker and it's chugging along,  Chipolte honey chicken breasts and some rib eye's.

Recovery time is FAST. 8)

I have got to say out of all the mods I really am liking the door stops.  8) This one mod is going to save the door from being replaced again.
N.P.

TonyL222

So, how well does the fan improve on cooking times? I went with the 2nd element mod, but see no reason a fan can't also be installed if its worth it.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

beefmann

yes it  does help with cooking times, also more important is that the fan evens out the temperature through out the box rather then the  heat going up the back and burning the food.

RFT

Quote from: TonyL222 on October 28, 2011, 07:51:56 AM
So, how well does the fan improve on cooking times? I went with the 2nd element mod, but see no reason a fan can't also be installed if its worth it.

so far I have only smoked some chicken breasts and a couple rib eyes since the mods have been done so nothing to compare with as of yet.  Recovery time is minuets instead of hour/hours.   I had very even cooked breasts of different sizes without rotating the racks.
N.P.

TonyL222

Quote from: RFT on October 28, 2011, 11:32:29 AM
Quote from: TonyL222 on October 28, 2011, 07:51:56 AM

...   I had very even cooked breasts of different sizes without rotating the racks.

Now THAT is a very good point.  No need to rotate racks, which also means less need to open the door and lose heat.  I might just look into a fan install with my dual elements.

muebe

I can tell you that with my fan the cooking times are much shorter(closer to pellet grill times) and there is no need to rotate racks(very even temps).

After installing the fan I also noticed that the cabinet temp gauge actually shows a temp close to the PID reading. That proves there are even temps in the cabinet with a fan mod.

And lastly it also makes your Bradley into a large dehydrator ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RFT

I bought the fan kit from "Smoke and stuff"   Comes with everything.   I went that route because I just wanted to  buy it and instal it with no hassle of making fan shrould  ect.
N.P.

GusRobin

Yeah, I agree. I can drill and tighten and bolt, but that is  my limit so ilike full kits also.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Toker

I also have this fan, the only thing i added is a kind of shroud above the fan blade to make sure it does not blow on my food like Mike (Mr Walleye) explained.