1st go round with Kummok's Salmon

Started by kickedback, October 23, 2011, 06:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickedback

Did some salmon this week. Stayed up past my bedtime for this one. Not sure how you guys do it. I did 4 lbs of Sockeye and 2 1/2 pounds of some that someone gave me that I had in the freezer that came out of Lake Michigan. Not sure if it was King, Coho, or Steelhead. Definitely could taste a difference between the 2, the Sockeye was quite a bit stronger(fishy) tasting. Had several people try it with the same general concensus, It was good, but they could taste a difference. Had a little trouble giving it away. Wasn't planning on that, so I froze the rest for a mid-winter ice fishing snack. I cut the recipe in half and had plenty of marinade left over or not enough salmon, only filled 3 racks. It sure did taste awesome.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Keymaster

muebe

That fish looks awesome! Great job ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kummok

Nice looking end product, KB!

In my own experience, the three most common reasons for "fishy" taste in salmon, (excluding an individual's own taste quirks...some folks just don't like fish.) are:
1. Not bleeding the salmon thoroughly when first caught,
2. Letting the fish sit in "skin slime" before cutting up, and
3. Fish that is too long frozen.

Fisher

Happy Smoking