Lots of Smoked Salmon and Steelhead(lots of pics)

Started by zueth, October 24, 2011, 10:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Last week I decided Sunday would be a perfect day to watch Football and smoke some salmon.  On Thursday evening I took out all the frozen salmon to thaw that I wanted to smoke.  On Friday night I made the Brine, it is a dry brine that consists of kosher salt dark brown sugar and some seasoning.  If anybody is interested I can post the recipe.

Next I cut up the salmon and steelhead into even chunks and removed any bones.  I ended up with two bags of Fall Chinook, three bags of spring Chinook and one bag of steelhead  Should be a perfect amount for six racks.

Then I applied even amounts of the brine over the fish and let sit on the garage counter for about 4 hours, then into the refrigerator until Sunday morning.

Sunday morning I took them out of the brine and let them air dry for 2-3 hours.

I seasoned them with fresh cracked pepper and dill.

after the 2-3 hours into the smoker at 120, going to smoke with a mixture of alder and maple for 8 hours.  I cooked at 120 for 2 hours, then 140 for 4 hours, and finished at 170 until done.

The Steelhead was done after 7 hours, the rest was done between 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours
Steelhead

Fall Chinook

Spring Chinook

As you can see I had to take a taster of the spring Chinook it was very good.
I let them rest on my counter fro 1 hour or so then put them in ziplocs to rest in refrigerator for a couple of days.  Then I will vacuum pack and freeze what I won't eat immediately.

TomW

Looks good!

Curious, you cooked till "done".  What indicator did you have?  On my first salmon, I think I could have quit an hour earlier, but don't know a reliable test for "done".

Thanks
Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

zueth

Quote from: TomW on October 24, 2011, 10:11:30 AM
Looks good!

Curious, you cooked till "done".  What indicator did you have?  On my first salmon, I think I could have quit an hour earlier, but don't know a reliable test for "done".

Thanks
Tom

I monitor the IT and anywhere between 125-130 is good.  But mainly I just look at it and if it flakes easily you know it is done as well.  a few of the pieces when I went to put in the probe they flaked apart and i knew they were done.  They were at 124.  Also make sure and put the thinner pieces on the same tray so you can pull those first.  Also, make sure and rotate racks every 2 hours or so.  rotate top to bottom and front to back.

viper125

Looks good. Will try it that way. My neighbor smokes it but it is way too done, more of a dryed shoe sole.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Keymaster

Looks awesome!!! I'd love to try the dry cure recipe if you don't mind posting or PMing. I gotta go get some smoked salmon out of the freezer now ;D

zueth

1 cup kosher salt
6 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 TB of Dry Mustard Powder
2 TB of Old Bay
2 TB of Johnny's
2 TB of Garlic Powder
2 TB of Onion Powder
2 TB of Dill

I did 1 1/2 batch's of the brine for the fish that I did

Keymaster

Quote from: zueth on October 24, 2011, 05:30:54 PM
1 cup kosher salt
2 TB of Old Bay
2 TB of Johnny's
2 TB of Garlic Powder
2 TB of Onion Powder
2 TB of Dill

Thanks so much, so with this recipe how many pounds of fish will this cure do you suppose?

Kummok

<Salivating> Fish looks great! Glad you posted the recipe....no need to ask to post recipe next time as we all love to learn what/how you came out with such great results!  :)

viper125

I'm assuming and correct me if I'm wrong! Since their is no cure you just cover fish generously. Don't really matter the amount.
Inside setup.

zueth

Quote from: Keymaster on October 24, 2011, 05:46:55 PM
Quote from: zueth on October 24, 2011, 05:30:54 PM
1 cup kosher salt
2 TB of Old Bay
2 TB of Johnny's
2 TB of Garlic Powder
2 TB of Onion Powder
2 TB of Dill

Thanks so much, so with this recipe how many pounds of fish will this cure do you suppose?
With the brine I just make sure the fish are covered and then it will turn into a liquid.  Normally that is about 1 1/4 cups per gallon ziploc bag with 4-5 pieces in each bag.

zueth

Quote from: viper125 on October 25, 2011, 07:37:10 AM
I'm assuming and correct me if I'm wrong! Since their is no cure you just cover fish generously. Don't really matter the amount.

Correct I just make sure the fish is covered evenly, which is normally about 1 1/4 cups per gallon bag.

devo

What are these two seasonings?
2 TB of Old Bay
2 TB of Johnny's
Never heard of them

viper125

I believe they mean Johnny's  seasoning salt.
As for the Old bay here is a recipe a little history on it. Or you can just buy it ready made.Old Bay Seasoning is a spice blend no kitchen should be without. Old Bay is a distinctive seasoning loved around the world for its bold, one-of-a-kind flavor that adds zest to seafood, chicken, salads, and much more. 

Old Bay Seasoning

1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoons red pepper
1/4 teaspoons ground mace (optional)
1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom (optional)

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container and store in a cool place. Makes about 1/4 cup

It's great also to season poultry, French fries, hamburgers, popped corn, pizza, baked potatoes, meats, deviled eggs, baked casseroles and fish.

Did You Know?

Old Bay Seasoning is named for the Chesapeake Bay area where it was developed by German immigrant Gustav Brunn in the 1940s, and where the seasoning is very popular to this day.

Potato chip manufacturer Herr's produces a variety of chips spiced with the seasoning, and Utz distributes a "crab chip" variety with an Old Bay analogue spice. Early in its history, the Subway sandwich shop used to use Old Bay when mixing their tuna sub.

Inside setup.

zueth

Quote from: devo on October 25, 2011, 08:12:12 AM
What are these two seasonings?
2 TB of Old Bay
2 TB of Johnny's
Never heard of them

Yep Viper nailed it, Old Bay is a great seafood seasoning, should be in most grocery stores, well at least is in every grocery store in Pacific North West and Johnny's seasoning salt, you could substitute lawrys seasoning salt if you don't have johnny's

mikecorn.1

Mike