Lots of Smoked Salmon and Steelhead(lots of pics)

Started by zueth, October 24, 2011, 10:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisher

Happy Smoking

JZ

I'm curious --- what are those blocks next to the water bowl and on the top rack ---- bricks?

Do you use the door temp gauge or do you have a seperate thermometer in the smoker to determine the temp?

I have been fighting temperature problems when I do fish and you seem to have the issue resolved. I could never open the smoker and rotate racks because I can't get the temperatures to get up high enough, even without opening the door. But I am relying on the door thermometer for temp readings and I am told this is not reliable.

I will pick up an internal thermometer to use the next time I am in town ( it is an hour drive each way to the nearest big town so I don't want to make a special trip for a thermometer).

I would like to resolve my temp issue as I have a lot of fish to process.

Quarlow

JZ don't rely on the door thermo at all. It is at the front of the smoker and the element is at the back. You won't get proper temp info at all. Your temps were likely way higher than what the door thermo said.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

zueth

Quote from: JZ on October 28, 2011, 07:46:21 PM
I'm curious --- what are those blocks next to the water bowl and on the top rack ---- bricks?

Do you use the door temp gauge or do you have a seperate thermometer in the smoker to determine the temp?

I have been fighting temperature problems when I do fish and you seem to have the issue resolved. I could never open the smoker and rotate racks because I can't get the temperatures to get up high enough, even without opening the door. But I am relying on the door thermometer for temp readings and I am told this is not reliable.

I will pick up an internal thermometer to use the next time I am in town ( it is an hour drive each way to the nearest big town so I don't want to make a special trip for a thermometer).

I would like to resolve my temp issue as I have a lot of fish to process.
They are bricks that I ran through the dishwasher a few times and wrapped with aluminum foil, I have two on the top rack and two by the water bowl.  They really help the cabinet keep heat when opening the door.  I don't pay attention to much to what the temp on the Bradley says it is at only when preheating, since I know that the temp is correct.  I have maverick 732 and that tells me the cabinet temp is right however, I didn't use it on this and don't normally use the BBQ temp probe on it.  I purchased a extra meat probe so that I can monitor two pieces of meat or fish at once.

dtjim

that looks good i have a steelhead in the brine right now. Do you rinse the brine off or leave it on. How long did you apply the smoke for

zueth

I do not rinse off the brine, just knock off the big chunks.  I applied smoke the whole time, 8 hours.