Smoked Dog Salmon

Started by Fisher, October 25, 2011, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisher

Got some Dog Salmon off the boat Monday fillet them and put the dry brine on at 1:00 PM.  Placed them in the fridge over night.  Rinsed and placed the pieces of salmon on the racks, started the air dry with the help of the fan for two hours, and placed the racks in the smoker.

Let it cool for an hour then into the fridge till tomorrow and then vacuum pack.

Happy Smoking

Quarlow

OMG, That is awesome. I think I am missing the boat so to speak on the salmon this year. So far I have not put any in the freezer. Doh.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

Great looking load of fish ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

pikeman_95

Boy for dog Salmon they sure look good.

Caneyscud

There ya go - the NW guys showing off their salmon and their salmon smoking skills again.  I cannot tell you how envious I am!  Man,is that ever good looking!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Fisher

Quote from: Quarlow on October 25, 2011, 08:32:46 PM
OMG, That is awesome. I think I am missing the boat so to speak on the salmon this year. So far I have not put any in the freezer. Doh.

Hi Q...One day we should meet at the Nanaimo Ferries so I can give you some Salmon. We should wait for the Sockeye run. I hope you get some Salmon in the freezer before the run.

Happy Smoking

Quarlow

Yeah me too.
Boy for dog Salmon they sure look good.
As for dog salmon I prefer the dogs for smoking cause they are more evenly in their thickness.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

kickedback

Wow, that looks great. Bet it tastes even better.

jiggerjams

viper125

We usually do steelhead. Anyone ever try walleye? I have some nice thick fillets. May have to try them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Caneyscud

Quote from: viper125 on October 31, 2011, 05:15:44 PM
....Anyone ever try walleye? I have some nice thick fillets. May have to try them.

Does dusted in seasoned flour and fried in lard in a big ole cast iron skillet over an open fire on the shore of a lake count?
Not cured and smoked - but mighty tasty anyways. 

Tenpoint5

That count's in my book Caney!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Fisher

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 01, 2011, 06:51:55 AM
Quote from: viper125 on October 31, 2011, 05:15:44 PM
....Anyone ever try walleye? I have some nice thick fillets. May have to try them.

Does dusted in seasoned flour and fried in lard in a big ole cast iron skillet over an open fire on the shore of a lake count?
Not cured and smoked - but mighty tasty anyways. 

Hi Caney.....
That walleye looks great!  We don't have walleye here, but I the think the closest fish to the walleye would be a Rock Cod.  The Cod is real good too, in a pan or open fire. The pictures look great, the only thing I would change would be the Beer. lol  The Budweiser is all I drink.

Happy Smoking

Caneyscud

Caught one or two of them rock Cod while halibut fishing - the one time I've gone halibut fishing.  Pulled up a big ling cod also - kinda scared me!   We do have walleye around here (Nashville), but not many people fish for them.  Many fish for a cousin - sauger.  I've caught one walleye here in TN.  I was wading in the Caney Fork throwing some soft hackles at some fun brookies when something bumped my upstream leg.  It was a walleye floating but still alive.  Being conservation minded as I am, and not liking to see things go to waste, I reached down and grabbed that sucker.  Don't keep any trout, so didn't have a stringer, a creel, or anything.  so threw it up on the bank.  Then I remembered that we had a lot of minks around, so went back to retrieve it.  Took my belt off and secured it to the belt with the buckle.  I got the fish home, but almost lost my shorts a few times!   Those pics above were from a trip to middle SK.  About 600 to 700 km above Mr. Walleye, near Stanley Mission. 

The beer - the only ones around.  And although I don't drink anymore I had one and it wasn't half bad - somebody left the water back at camp.   ;D

Kummok

It counts when it looks like that, Caney! (and keep the Kokanee coming....one of my favorites!)  I'm gonna go dry the drool off my keyboard now.......