My Smoker Project

Started by fatluke, October 26, 2011, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatluke

Hey Gang,

Long time reader of the forums here and I've finally acquired what I hope will work to make a massive smoker like a lot of members have done. I acquired a "True" Freezer, model T-49F.  The specs can be found here:
http://www.kclcutsheets.com/PDF/TF%5CT-49F.pdf

Here is a  pic of the monstrosity:

Here is a cut and paste from the specs regarding the construction.  I am wondering if the insulation is suitable for heat.  (More information on the insulation can be found here: http://www.ecomatesystems.com/data/)

CABINET CONSTRUCTION
Exterior - Stainless steel front. Anodized quality aluminum ends, back and top.
Interior - attractive, NSF approved, white aluminum liner. 300 series stainless steel floor with coved corners.
Insulation - entire cabinet structure and solid doors are foamed-in-place using Ecomate. A high density, polyurethane insulation that has zero ozone depletion potential (ODP) and zero global warming potential (GWP).

I've read through the last two years of smoker projects on here and I'm looking forward to getting this thing up and running. Crossing my fingers and hoping someone can tell me the insulation will work.

Thanks in advance.

beefmann

I believe it will work, so  go for it

Keymaster

I cant committ telling you, you will be fine but what I can say is I built walk in coolers and freezers for eight years which used polyurethane shot in foam for insulation. We built a Test tunnel for Boeing That they did experiments on shuttle tiles. They would take the Temperatures from sub zero levels to 400° F  in the test tunnel which the polyurethane insulation is basically the same material you have in your True cabinet. I think you will be fine as long as you dont excede temperatures of 280° F and keep your heat source centered in the middle of the cabinet with atleast 2" air gap between the floor/wall and heat source. I am not a scientist, I am just telling you that I would definately make a smoker out of that True Cabinet. I cant tell if the information on the insulation is after the isocyanate and resin B have mixed and turned to Foam or if the info is before, Like I said Im a blue collar worker.

GusRobin

Call them

"Ecomate® is an affordable non-ODP, non-GWP, and VOC exempt polyurethane foam that helps protect the environment — while providing excellent insulation properties for refrigeration, food service, and vending equipment. It has been proven to be hygienically safe, thermally efficient, recyclable, biodegradable, and is non-corrosive to equipment and end products. As a drop-in replacement, ecomate foams do not put an additional cost burden on manufacturers and can be used with existing equipment.

We'd love to answer any questions you may have, feel free to use the contact form or call us at: 1-800-325-4875."

Or web site:http://www.ecomatesystems.com/r
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

fatluke

Well there goes that idea.

I inquired with Ecomate and got the following reply:

QuoteI received a copy of your request for information from "Foam Supplies" asking about using a freezer as a smoker.  We strongly advise against this.  The insulation foam in these boxes is designed to be used at 220 deg F or lower.  It is not designed to be used at or above 250 deg F.

Between 250 deg F and 300 deg F thermal decomposition starts to take place.  When the insulation starts to decompose it releases dangerous gases. Attached are a few articles and references to warn you of possible risks if a freezer box is misapplied.

I guess I'll have a look and see how painful it will be to tear the cabinet apart and change out the insulation.  Might be easier to keep searching for another cabinet.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: fatluke on October 27, 2011, 10:58:31 AM
Well there goes that idea.

I inquired with Ecomate and got the following reply:

QuoteI received a copy of your request for information from "Foam Supplies" asking about using a freezer as a smoker.  We strongly advise against this.  The insulation foam in these boxes is designed to be used at 220 deg F or lower.  It is not designed to be used at or above 250 deg F.

Between 250 deg F and 300 deg F thermal decomposition starts to take place.  When the insulation starts to decompose it releases dangerous gases. Attached are a few articles and references to warn you of possible risks if a freezer box is misapplied.

I guess I'll have a look and see how painful it will be to tear the cabinet apart and change out the insulation.  Might be easier to keep searching for another cabinet.

Well that Sux's.

It would make a BIG sausage smoke if you make sausage.

170* is as high as you get making Sausage.

When I made mine, I wanted it to be a dual purpose smoker.

Higher heat for mass quanities of meat and low for Sausage and

did cook 125lbs of meat in it before I just decided to dedicate it

to a Sausage smoker.

fatluke

Ya I wanted it to be dual purpose also, and I don't want to take any chances even at 170 for sausages..... Will be looking into tearing it down and re insulating.