Bacon for Dummys!

Started by viper125, October 27, 2011, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

This isn't any thing special just a good basic recipe for Bacon. I have it spelled out that I don't even mess up any more. Not calling anyone a dummy but me. I seem to be able to mess up a wet dream at times. LOL But this may help some others who want to try. Just trying to give back some thing.

Bacon for Dumbys

You can use belly or butts by changing cure times. This is how I make my belly Bacon.

Per 1 lb. meat                    Per    5 lb. Meat

2 TBS Brown Sugar                      10 TBS Brown Sugar                       
1/2 TBS Black Pepper                   2 1/2 TBS. Black Pepper

1/2 TBS Garlic Powder                  2 1/2 TBS. Garlic Powder

1/2 TBS Onion  Powder                  2 1/2 TBS. Onion  Powder

1   TBS Morton Tender Quick            5 TBS Morton Tender Quick

* You can add maple syrup or Honey or molasses by pouring on after you rub the mix in. Add 1 TBS per lb. and subtract 1 TBS of brown sugar.

Curing

Weight meat after cutting into sizes for smoking. Weight each getting exact measurements. Then mix according to recipe. Wash and dry meat with Paper towels. Rub each piece with the mix made for each one. Put meat into Plastic zip lock bag and add remaining mixture to it. Do this with each piece of meat. Put each bag into a container.(Mixer bowel or such) just in case bags leak. Now leave them in refridgerator for 5-7 days. remove each bag twice a day and massage the mixture into meat with bag still one.Put bags back in bowl upside down from last time. Water will build up. Keep in contact with meat as much as possible. After 5-7 days remove and wash meat in clean water. Then soak for 30 minutes changing the water each time for a total of 2 hours. Now cut small piece and try for saltiness. If ok proceed if not soak again.

Smoking

Heat smoker to 140 degrees, then put room tempature meat in smoker for 1 hour.Now Smoke for 2 hours of your favorite wood at 160. I use Hickory But apple maple or any will be good. Now kick smoker to 225 Degrees , You can pull when IT (internal Tempature) is between 137-140 for a raw need to be cooked bacon. And 150-152 and you can eat as is.

Finishing

Now slice and pack. slice 1/8 inch thick for a store bought type or 1/4 for more of a hamish taste. Vaccume Pack and freeze. or Wrap in plastic cling wrap. Then wrap in foil.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.