Can't find Hi-temp wire for dual element mod

Started by yamwarrior, October 31, 2011, 05:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamwarrior

Hi guys! I finally bought the stuff to do the dual element mod but I'm having a heck of a time tracking down some hi-temp wire. I've been to a couple appliance repair places, some hardware stores, and even a electrical supply place (they can order it, but it comes in big rolls). No luck finding the 14 gauge wiring needed. Do any of you guys know where I could order some? I only need like 10 ft right? Or if any of you have any extra laying around I will buy it from you. Let me know what you guys think. I'm looking forward to filling this puppy up and rolling some smoke!!

GusRobin

First link didn't work -- here it is;
http://www.alliedkenco.com/search.aspx?find=hi+temp+wire
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

devo

Old stoves are full of hi-temp wire. If you have access to one strip it down. And what do you need ten feet for? I used maybe 4 inches.

yamwarrior

I read in one of the how to's on this site, they said 10 feet should cover it. I may have some access to some old stoves, one of the guys I work with is a scrapper. Is it critical for it to be the same gauge wiring as the original Bradley wiring??

TedEbear

10 FEET???  More like 10 inches.  All you need it for is to run a short 3-4 inch loop of wire from the second element to the original first element on each end.  The original high temp wire that was already there and attached to the first element is still there and that's what goes out the back of the cooking chamber.

I bought a couple of feet of it at a mom and pop appliance repair store.  I'm surprised that the ones you checked didn't have any.  I bet they had some, they just didn't want to sell it. They need that stuff to repair appliances that reach high temps.

devo

Quote from: TedEbear on October 31, 2011, 07:07:43 PM
10 FEET???  More like 10 inches.  All you need it for is to run a short 3-4 inch loop of wire from the second element to the original first element on each end.  The original high temp wire that was already there and attached to the first element is still there and that's what goes out the back of the cooking chamber.

I bought a couple of feet of it at a mom and pop appliance repair store.  I'm surprised that the ones you checked didn't have any.  I bet they had some, they just didn't want to sell it. They need that stuff to repair appliances that reach high temps.

Yup what Ted said. I don't even think I used 4 inches. Got it from work

GusRobin

that is if you hook the 2 elements together. If you hook them independent or with an on off switch you will need more.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

yamwarrior

Thanks a bunch guys!! I'll probably just order the roll from amazon and be done with it. Can't wait!!!

GusRobin

Allied kenco will sell it by the foot and has fast delivery.

beefmann

may try a local appliance parts store  rather then an a appliance repair. also  look online for   the  wire, if you  having  problems   shoot me an e mail and my  local parts  store carries 14 gage high temp wire

RFT

I can also get it by the foot locally.   If you have probs obtaining wire  I am willing to get some and send to you.

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

yamwarrior

Thanks for the help guys! I ordered some last week off Amazon. Hopefully I get it sometime this week. I can't wait to load this thing up with some meat!! I have the regular Auber Pid that I use. I have never run an AutoTune on it, but I've been seeing that a lot of guys on here run it through an Autotune after doing a dual element mod...Is this necessary?? I thought the PID just monitors the temp of the smoker and adjusts the smoker temp to what you have the PID set at. Why would you have to run an autotune for adding a second element. The smoker isn't gonna run hotter, it will just heat up quicker.?.?.?

sourtooth

Quoteit will just heat up quicker
Ah maybe you answered your own question

TedEbear

Quote from: yamwarrior on November 13, 2011, 07:36:08 PMWhy would you have to run an autotune for adding a second element. The smoker isn't gonna run hotter, it will just heat up quicker.?.?.?

The PID needs to know what kind of heating element it is controlling so that it can adjust the ramp up/dn parameters accordingly.  A 500W heater will reach the setpoint slower than a 1000W bank of elements.  If the PID has been tuned for 500W it will overshoot the setpoint by a large margin once you plop something twice that big in there.