My new Smoker

Started by BrentK, May 12, 2004, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentK

I've done some online reserch and this forum was very helpful.  My thanks to all of you who contribute to it.  I went from the LittleSmoker by Brinkman to a insulated smoker made by The Sausage Maker Inc., and now on to the Bradley.  I'm looking forward...I hope...to better smoking results.

I have a couple of questions though...what are these "pucks" everyone is talking about.  Also, is it "ok" to leave the smoker outside when not in use if I purchase the cover?  I'm worried the weather conditions may damaged the smoke generator and heat element.  What do the rest of you do?  

I'm trying out some goose jerky this weekend.  The old smoker used to take up to 15 hours to get the job done.[:D]

Fuzzybear

Welcome aboard!

The pucks are actually the wood bisquettes designed for producing the smoke in a controlled manner via the hot plate on the smoke generator portion of the unit. Or are you talking about the BUBBA PUCKS?  Those are metal replacements designed to take the place of a wood bisqeutte at the end of the smoking process to avoid wasted wood pucks....

Out in the elements?  I wouldn't do it - it's got a circuit board in the bottom....I keep mine under it's cover and then under a covered patio when not in use...plus, water-rain may leak in from the vent on top leaving a large puddle in the bottom and maybe ruining the heating element....

Don't know about the goose...good luck with it!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Welcome Brent,
I am fortunate enough to have a shed I keep my smoker in. I did however purchase the cover also. The cover is water proof so I don't see why you couldn't let it out in the elements. Maybe in the winter I'd be inclined to take the smoke generator indoors.
The "bubba pucks" you hear about are 2 metal pucks used to advance the last 2 pucks. If you go to Chez-Bubba's web site you can find them there.
Good luck on your goose jerky. How does goose jerky compare to venison or beef?Is it fatty? I never made jerky but a lot of venison sausage.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

Brent,
I leave my smoker outside - no problems so far.[:D]

I did not get a Bradley cover with my unit, I just used my barbecue cover on the smoker.  It is quite a bit bigger than the Bradley, so I just try and center it, and then tuck the edges underneath the smoker.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

My 2-cents worth.... I keep mine high and dry.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Brent,

Looking forward to further contributions from you. Please let us know the details about the goose jerky, I've never done it but if it's that good, I could see taking out a couple of those that seem to be compelled to crap in my yard & making a positive about it![:D]

Personally, I keep my smoker in the garage & carry it out to the deck when I want to smoke. It's a well built machine, but let's face it, it's not an Abrhams tank. Then again, I live in an area where summer can reach 110F and winter can go to -30F.

The Bradley is a GREAT smoker, but by design IMOH, it is not the most efficient dehydrator, nor should it be. Please post your thoughts after you give it a go this weekend.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?