Help cold smoking sausage?

Started by SmokinDuramax, November 01, 2011, 05:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinDuramax

I want to try and cold smoke some link pork sausage!what temp and how long? I've do it before till 152 int! That was a hot smoke! Seemed like it was tough! So I thought I would try a cold smoke! Any help here fellows???? Yes I have rytek kutas book! Can't seem
To figure this out!

cathouse willy

You'll need to provide a few more details before I could offer any advice. What kind of sausage, does it contain curing salt ??Details man give us details.
Cheers
Bill

SmokinDuramax

Sailor

If you have added 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat in your mix then you will be fine to smoke your sausage.

When I smoke sausage I stuff it and hang it in the smoker at 130 cabinet temp to dry the casings.  Generally this is for 1 hour.  I then ramp the cabinet temp to 140 for 2 hrs and roll the smoke.  Then ramp to 150 for 2 hrs then to 160 for 2 hrs then to 170 for 2 hrs and cap at 175 until the IT is 152.

A faster way is to do the above however after you finish smoking you take them out and put in a hot water bath of 160 degrees water and soak until the IT of 152 is reached.

Hope this helps.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

For most cold smoking I like to use a temperature around 70°F, but if you stay below 90°F you are alright. When hot smoking I like to use 1:40 hours of smoke, but for cold smoking any meat I always add an additional 40 minutes, than I would during hot smoking. You will have raw sausage that will need to be fully cooked latter on.

This time of year if you cold smoke with the generator detached, the air in the cabinet may be too dry. If the casings begin to dry, spritz them lightly with a fine mist of water during the smoking period.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinDuramax

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 04, 2011, 01:56:47 AM
For most cold smoking I like to use a temperature around 70°F, but if you stay below 90°F you are alright. When hot smoking I like to use 1:40 hours of smoke, but for cold smoking any meat I always add an additional 40 minutes, than I would during hot smoking. You will have raw sausage that will need to be fully cooked latter on.

This time of year if you cold smoke with the generator detached, the air in the cabinet may be too dry. If the casings begin to dry, spritz them lightly with a fine mist of water during the smoking period.
I was going to leave the generatator attached to the smoker! So you say I need to detach it? Yea I want it raw tO finish in a skillet or. Grill! Thanks

Habanero Smoker

You can leave it attached, if it were detached then you may need to spritz the sausage with a fine mist.

If the generator is attached then there should be enough moisture in the air from the water bowl. You need to keep an eye on the temperature to make sure it stays below 90°F. Keep the vent fully open, some place ice in the cabinet; if needed, or you can crack the door open occasionally to allow the temperature to lower.

Some causes of the casings being tough could be you smoked them too fast, gradually increasing the temperature during the smoking/cooking time helps keep them tender. If natural casings you may not have soaked them long enough, and/or rinse the insides out. Over drying the sausage can cause this or not enough moisture in the smoker. Air dry only until the surface is tacky. Also some natural casings are tougher than others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinDuramax

Ok thanks for the help! Will be doing this on about 2 weeks!