I think i ruined my tenderloin. Is it safe?

Started by jbra, November 11, 2011, 12:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbra

I've purchased a super fresh 4lb beef tenderloin from local butcher. Not frozen.

Added some salt, pepper and garlic and put it in the bradley smoker with only smoke on. 2 hours with oak chips. Smoker temperature never got above 100F.

I've then took it off, wrapped it nice and tight in Saran wrap and put it back in fridge (not freezer).

Plan was to cook it next day (tonight) in the oven.

Now, thinking back about what I've done, is it ok? Or is it a food poisoning waiting to happen?

Thank you.

viper125

Well just my opinion but meat at 100 degrees and no cure sounds like a recipe for danger. The reason for cure is to protect your meat from  bad things till it gets over 140.
But there is others on here that know better.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Well I am not the authority on this subject, but I don't see anything that would have me worried. Your smoke temp was low, only 2 hrs and it went back into the fridge. Some of the other folks who are more in tune with food safety might say different, but I think you are fine. I would have done mine with the smoke and then right to cooking but that is just cause I would time it to do so.  We'll see what the others have to say.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

I won't say if it is safe or not, but will give you additional information so you can make a decision.

A lot depends on how the meat was handled prior to you placing it in the smoker. The two hour in the danger zone is cumulative. Let's say after you took the meat out of the display counter in the store, and by the time you got home 30 minutes had past before you get it in the refrigerator, then you only have another 1.5 hours in which you can leave the meat in the danger zone, to be completely safe.

The room temperature that the danger zone is based on is 68°F, and you had the smoker up to 100°F. The 100°F is the optimal temperature for food borne bacterial growth. With the salt, and smoke (smoke has antimicrobial properties), that will give you extended time in the danger zone. How much time? I can't answer that I have done something similar, by cold smoking steak on several occasions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

I agree with Habs in not being able to certify it as safe.  But, I also cold smoke steaks and have done a sirloin roast using the same method; cold to smoke to cold.  I'm still here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Stickbowcrafter

Same disclaimer, I'm no expert and don't take this as gospel, but IF anything bad has started, cooking to a proper temperature should take care of any nasties.

-Brian

KyNola

jbra

I've went ahead and cooked it. 10 minutes at 500F on each side, then about another hour at 350 until internal temp was 145. Then rest for 20 mins.

Prolly best tenderloin I've ever had. So far so good :) Ill post tomorrow if we live through the night.

2 hours on oak chips is about right. Any more and I think it would have been too heavy.

Thank you for your replies!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: jbra on November 11, 2011, 06:11:08 PM
I've went ahead and cooked it. 10 minutes at 500F on each side, then about another hour at 350 until internal temp was 145. Then rest for 20 mins.

Prolly best tenderloin I've ever had. So far so good :) Ill post tomorrow if we live through the night.

2 hours on oak chips is about right. Any more and I think it would have been too heavy.

Thank you for your replies!
So, Are you still with us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

jbra

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

I will make no comment on the USDA.  Bradley might get in trouble!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"