Triple smoked belly

Started by cathouse willy, November 03, 2011, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

The Bradley has found a home inside for the winter. The old garden shed is water and critter proof and is ventilated well enough I don't worry about external venting.So to celebrate all of this I have a belly just finished day 2 of Habeneros triple smoke recipe. Because  I don't have to worry about rain or hungry animals I'm tempted to smoke it for a couple of days longer. What do you think cold smoke gurus? Notice how I've added the rain for effect.

Habanero Smoker

That will definitely work. I wish I had a garage or shed. Nice special effects.

I'm just curious. During the smoking stages do you put anything else in the smoker. Some times I will cold smoke sweet peppers, onions, salt or other items. Smoking the same salt all three days give it a nice smokey flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

I'm going to give it 2 extra days for 5 days of smoke in all. There hasn't been bacon in the house for months so I can't wait any longer. I did some cheese one day and I've got a chunk of blade steak and some peppers that will go in tomorrows session. There's a pot of chille in the works.

Habanero Smoker

If you go beyond 3 days of smoking, I would be concern that it may be too much smoke. You could continue to hold it between 70 - 90°F for an extra two day without applying more smoke, that will concentrate the flavor more.

If you do apply smoke beyond the third day, I would be very interested in your final results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

Hey Willy, your bacon sounds great.  Noticed in the pic that it appears there is a sheet of that foil backed insulation laying top of your smoker.  If so, do you have your vent blocked?  Just wondering.

cathouse willy

I really like a strong smoke flavor but I'll cut the smoking times down the last 2 days and use maple only rather than mixing maple and hickory. The foil insulation completely covers the smoker in cold weather except for the hole cut for the vent.
Cheers
Willy

KyNola

Quote from: cathouse willy on November 05, 2011, 10:10:26 AM
I really like a strong smoke flavor but I'll cut the smoking times down the last 2 days and use maple only rather than mixing maple and hickory. The foil insulation completely covers the smoker in cold weather except for the hole cut for the vent.
Cheers
Willy
That 'splains it.  Thanks Willy!

cathouse willy

The bellies got 2  hrs of hot smoke today on their way to an IT of 156 f T his is what emerged from 16 hrs of smoke over 5 days.

and a wee taste.

It is very firm and smokey and quite salty. I'm thinking a few days in the fridge to let things mellow some will help.

ghost9mm

Well it really looks good for sure...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Habanero Smoker

All the flavors should be concentrated, you should also pick up more sweetness. Mine is salty, but not overly salty. Once you add it to sandwiches or make BLT's, salads, toppings for burgers etc,  the salt flavor improves. Just control the amount of salt you add to the other ingredients, or don't add any salt at all. I don't fry mine, but it can also be fried if you want the crisp texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cathouse willy

I had "Waffles of insane greatness" http://www.food52.com/recipes/13871_aretha_frankensteins_waffles_of_insane_greatness
and bacon for brunch. The overnite rest has vastly improved the bacon. Is it smokey? After eating 6 slices I can now set off smoke detectors with a wave of my hand. Is 5 days of smoke better than 3? to be honest the only other time I've done this recipe I made triple smoked Buckboard bacon so I can't compare but it is very very tasty and I will do this again.

Habanero Smoker

It's been a long time since I had waffles. Now you got me thinking about buying a waffle appliance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Stickbowcrafter

Nice set up and delicious looking product. Habs is right about remembering to add other items while smoking. I always want to but end up forgetting and I'm famous for running only a half full smoker...a lot :-(

-Brian