Smokers inside a garage or shed

Started by CoreyMac, November 06, 2011, 12:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

That picture absolutely makes the point and I am glad it was posted. It clearly demonstrates the potential dangers and the need to be extra careful if the smoker is used indoors. Heck for that matter even where you put it outdoors.

Thanks Devo, I really enjoy this forum and learn a lot from it. The people here are great and I appreciate all the advise, recipes and other information that is exchanged on a daily basis.

If I took a comment the wrong way then I apologise.

hal4uk

Hey, JZ, I reckon I'm the one that started this misunderstanding, but I certainly was not calling you an idiot (or anyone else)...
I just don't want to see anyone burn down their house.

Perhaps, "take it outside" was a bit "preachy".  Sorry about that.
We do have a resident preacher here; his name is Friar Tuck.
He's much nicer than I am.

But, he wuzn't sitting here with me, or offering guidance to me (or my ceramic snowman) while that petrified nitwit with the carrot nose nodded approvingly as I typed and posted that babble.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

viper125

Well mines in the garage (unattached) I also have a fire extinguisher there. Run a PID. And monitor meat and cabinet temps. Keep it clean and im in the process of separating the smoke generator for cold smoking. But most of all I have good insurance..lol Can't be 100 percent but I do all I can. Hope this works out good. But like they say anything can happen. That goes for inside appliances too!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

Hey hal4uk, the only person that used the word idiot was me and it appears I should have phrased that differently. In any case let's forget about this and get back to enjoying this forum.

Quarlow

Well I for one am never going to forget what he said, cause I am just a remembering kind of guy and Hal........hold it. What were we talking about? Ok well I forgot but you can be sure I won't forget next time we discuss.......um, ah, wait a minute..... I forgot what you said but I am sure someone said "Awrighten".  ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Quote from: Quarlow on November 10, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
Well I for one am never going to forget what he said, cause I am just a remembering kind of guy and Hal........hold it. What were we talking about? Ok well I forgot but you can be sure I won't forget next time we discuss.......um, ah, wait a minute..... I forgot what you said but I am sure someone said "Awrighten".  ;D ;D ;D
Well, I reckon, if grandma had wheels, she'd have been a bicycle.  :o
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

CoreyMac

Been a while since i checked this thread, it took an unusual direction there for a bit. Anyways, here's what I came up with, and it works very well. Only a little bit of smell in the garage. I never plan to leave it over night, can't afford to burn the garage down. I work there on weekends so I'm always within 20ft of the Bradley at any time.

Here's a pic:

cathouse willy

Corey my setup is the other end of the scale from yours. The old shed is ventilated well enough so I don't worry about venting the smoker. It works really well. Come summer I'll move it back outside but this is her home for the winter. Here she is in her cold smoke rig ready to be wrapped in her blanky out of the rain and wind.

viper125

Mine's not fancy! Just getting started. But had to set up to continue smoking while getting things ready. The Bench will be approx 18 ft. 3/4" Melimite top.
place for my dorm fridge,dehydrator,grinder.stuffer,slicer and smoker. Will update pics later.

Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Quote from: cathouse willy on November 30, 2011, 04:31:17 PM
Corey my setup is the other end of the scale from yours. The old shed is ventilated well enough so I don't worry about venting the smoker. It works really well. Come summer I'll move it back outside but this is her home for the winter. Here she is in her cold smoke rig ready to be wrapped in her blanky out of the rain and wind.

Cool rig, you do however have one advantage. Your weather doesn't get to -35c in January (generally)  ;D

Viper, I like your set-up look llike your setting up a complete sausage/butcher area all in one. Very cool. Keep the pics coming ;D

viper125

That's basically what I'm going for. But not just sausage. bacon, ham and other smoked meats. Plus ribs,cordon blu and such are also a favorite. Just want it all in one location where its easier to keep track. The dorm refrigerator will be monitored to the best curing range. I'm also building a dehydrator out there for jerky and such. So its my man cave or fun house. Oh, nice thing is I have large sink and Bathroom out there.
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Very nice 8). I already chose my big hobby (cars) my man cave is filled with that project so I  don't have very much room left over for doing the smoking hobby. One day I will set up a space for doing everything like you are, but for now I have to do it where ever there is a few ft of counter space. I would be very interested to see the finished work area.  ;D

viper125

Well I am very lucky. We downsized about 3 years ago when I became disabled. But the up side is I have 3 outbuildings on commercial land. One 2 car garage, one a 40-60 ft building and a 4 car with car port on one side and a car rack and concrete on other side. If this wasn't enough the wife don't do stairs well so We have this kind of a mother in law apartment upstairs and I have it too. Also I have a very large dry concrete basement. Mostly for me but their is a washer,and dryer which I do most of cause of stairs and two large freezers also. 3 1/2 acres to play and hunt and garden. If it sounds like bragging it's not.But I do realize if been blessed! Well part of it is because the wife but still. She loves her house so all is well.  Sorry not meaning to go off topic. But as always my running mouth did.
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

No problems, sounds like your where I want to be in about 15yrs. My body is still working (for now) so I'm makin hay. I'm a city slicker so we have a little less space (one 24x26 garage) I do have a little extra space in my garage but due to the fact that my car project is in there I don't trust exposing raw meat in there for any lenght of time because of the chemicals/welding fumes etc. Although a third eye would be handy I'll stick to the two I have ;D I'm lucky I have a great wife who helps me with my butcher hobby (as much as she can) Plus she eats the finished product so its only fair (right) :-\.

Keep the pics coming

Corey