Auberins PID

Started by bates1sniper, November 06, 2011, 06:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bates1sniper

OK guys need some serious help. I finally after many months complted my smoker with Bradley smoker generator, and Auberins Dual PID.
Well I was wanting to get everything cabled up and realized that where I mounted my PID is farther then the cable I have to go between the Generator and the PID. So I need to finder a longer cable. Or cut then ends and make my own. Has anybody done this?
My next problem is that the instructions are written in greek. Can anyone give a step by step instruction on how you run your PID. Such as heating up to 130 for the first hour then start the smoke on the second hour for like two hours. Then gradually bump the heat till it reaches say 180. Thought I was pretty savvy on things like this, but this one took the cake.
Thank you for any suggestions and help,
Brandon

Keymaster

Gusrobin wrote a good tutorial on the Auber PID, He will be around shortly to direct you to that thread. Once you figure it out its easy peasy, I promise ;)

GusRobin

here is the link

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

As far as the probe, i would call Auber and ask if they have longer probes, or if you could order one, or how to extend it. They are pretty helpful people so either call or email them.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I don't believe you can splice the wires for a thermocouple. Thermistor-style probe can be spliced, but Pens can definitely answer that for you.

If you contact Auburn, I'm sure they will let you exchange the unused one for a custom made one, but there may be an additional cost.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thirtydaZe

Quote from: GusRobin on November 06, 2011, 07:27:16 PM
here is the link

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

As far as the probe, i would call Auber and ask if they have longer probes, or if you could order one, or how to extend it. They are pretty helpful people so either call or email them.

+1

That link was basically my saving grace when it came to figuring out how to run the PID.

The instruction manual reads about as bad as anything i've seen.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

bates1sniper

Gusrobin, thanks so much for the link to your steps on programing. Soo much easier to understand.
I was able to order a 3' adaptor cord from Auberin this morning. Once I get that I will be ready to put everything to the test.

I do have one more small questions. I am pretty sure this is what you have to do but just want to make sure. When I load up the Generator do I go ahead and advance one all the way up to the burner, and then do all my PID settings?

Keymaster

The Auber PID has a Memory so it will remember the last program you set in it. You can actually program it in the house, unplugg it and start it outside. I always preheat the bisquette burner by running the Auber for about twenty minutes then shut it off and back on then advance the pucks to the end that way you almost have intant smoke and the programming starts from the beginning.

Habanero Smoker

Here is some samples of programing, courtesy of Mike (Mr Walleye)

Auber PID Step Programming

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

You have me confused with the temp 160 then time -121. I assuming this just shuts off when the previous step ends right? Wouldn't 0 for both in step 6 do the same thing?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: viper125 on November 08, 2011, 05:39:17 PM
You have me confused with the temp 160 then time -121. I assuming this just shuts off when the previous step ends right? Wouldn't 0 for both in step 6 do the same thing?

Viper

This is the programming I used for setting up my SYL-2352P Programable PID Controller from Auber. It has 30 programable steps. The difference between just using a setting of 0 or the -121 setting is the -121 setting puts the controller into it's stop mode. If you have the step set to 0 the controller will continue to run and move on to the next step.

I'm assuming you are talking about step #5 which has a temp of 160 and a time of -121. The reason you need the temp set to 160 is because this is a ramp and soak. For an example, if step #5 was set to 0 temp and -121 time, during the step #4 (temp 160 & time 720) the temp would ramp down from 160 to 0 over the period of 720 minutes.

I hope that made sense.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bates1sniper

Tried out my smoker the other day. I did not connect the PID at the time. I just wanted to see how hot I could get it inside with my little hot plate. It is a 1000w. I could only reach 205 degrees. With the way I have it built and wired it is for 110v. So my question is. Would I be able to put a 1500w burner with the PID I have(WSD-1201CPH) in September of last year.? I know there have been new models made since I have bought mine. Stinks that I am just now getting to use it. Any suggestions to get a hotter heat in my smoker? It is 4'hx2'dx2'w.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ArnieM

The 1200 series controller is rated 1440 W max. 

A simple solution might be to get a lower power "always on" hotplate (maybe 500-750 watts) and let the PID control the high power hotplate.  The lower power plate should get you to 150-180 and the big plate will control it from there.

The more expensive alternative is to get the higher capacity PID.  It might be possible, though, to swap out the SSR on yours for a higher power module.  You'd have to contact Auber for that info.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

bates1sniper

Well I talked to Auberins about my PID. They said it will not handle the bigger heating element that I need. And the PID box is not large enough to change out the parts. So I guess I have a 1200 series brand new never used up for sell. It was purchased for 184. I will sell it for 150 if any one interested. Know anyone that wants one please let me know. I need to buy the bigger version. I guess building bigger is not always better :D

Habanero Smoker

You should post your PID for sale in the "Smoker Related Items" forum located at the bottom of the Home page. Not every member may read this thread.

I
         don't
                   inhale.