My Observations to Date: New OBS Owner

Started by Akula Osis, November 11, 2011, 10:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akula Osis

Hola,

After much research and reading on this forum, I purchased an OBS from Canadian Tire (which just happened to be on sale for 30% off). At the same time, placed an order for an Auber Dual Probe PID but I didn't wait to get started as it was going to take a week or so to arrive.

Temporary spot outside:

Printed out a recipe for Smoked Leg of Lamb from the Bradley website, ended up with a 4lb boneless NZ leg of lamb (bone in were from Ontario).

I conditioned the unit (as per directions on this site), prepared the rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Using special blend, I smoked for 4 hours with smoke on the whole time (I was ok with this, but my wife felt it was over smoked). Used our oven portable thermometer which worked just fine.

Here's the result:

Since this was pretty quick, I didn't run into many temperature problems (this happened later on).

Next up, Brisket (I just couldn't wait to try). Prepared generic rub from the downloaded recipe book, unpackaged then cut in half and covered in Rub and let sit  for 2 days turning whenever I remembered.

Still Cryovac'd with Rub prepared (banana's are just hanging around):

Cut in two and rub applied, ready to be covered and put in fridge:

When I mentioned to the butcher about aging, he informed me that the beef was already aged for 3 weeks. Next, I mentioned I was worried about it drying out, so he cut me pork rind to wrap the brisket pieces while cooking (used Mesquite pucks for 50% of cooking time):

It appears that the maximum heat I can get my unit up to is about 190o-200o, which was ok for this brisket but a problem later on when I tried chicken (had to finish in the oven).

So I cooked the brisket overnight and had a heck of a time keeping the temperature within range. Finally after 8 hours outside I brought them in and finished in the oven at 225o for another 5 hours (apple cider in pan to keep from drying out in the oven):

Once out of the oven I wrapped in foil, then in towels and stored in a heated cooler (which now smells like brisket). Final product came out fantastic and was a huge weekend hit:

Conclusion & Thoughts:
Dual Probe PID came in during this process and I'll see if it makes a difference (heat wise).

I need a second element for sure and most likely a fan to move the heat around. Also a good stand with the unit bolted down so it doesn't go all "Wizard of Oz" on me (it's pretty light).

I'll read up on the fan mod & element mod on the site, any suggestions are most welcomed.

mikecorn.1

Nice going there. Welcome to the forum. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Looks like your off to an excellent start with your new smoker!!!

ArnieM

Congrats on the smoker.

You had me at the leg of lamb  :D  Been thinking about lamb for a couple of weeks now.

Brisket looks good too.

The PID isn't going to get the unit any hotter.  It just controls the temp the best it can with what it has.  I can usually run at 220-225 but that's about it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are rocking the Bradley pretty good.
If you are taking your temp readings from the door thermo then you won't get a proper reading. It is near the front of the smoker and if the food is below it the food effects the reading. Get a probe style thermo and then hang it from a couple of paperclips under the rack your food is on. This will give you a good idea of what temp is hitting the food.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to the forum, Partner that leg of lamb looks just plain extra good, as well as the brisket, well done and you will like the PID operation...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

welcome to the forum and looks like your off to a great  start

RFT

Welcome to the forum.   

Both your smokes look great.  I bet they tasted even better.

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hybridcx

ever since I have seen that boneless leg of lamb, I have been craving it and we rarely eat lamb, just looks perfect! and will be one of the first things we try once our first Bradley gets here next week sometime... good work

Quarlow

Also a good stand with the unit bolted down so it doesn't go all "Wizard of Oz" on me (it's pretty light).
Having reread this post I think your trouble was the wind. That is the smokers worst enemy.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.