Smoking a Turkey with the Bradley

Started by bozer, November 12, 2011, 06:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Quote from: bozer on November 13, 2011, 10:31:42 AM
I noticed some people have their Turkey's hanging in their bradley in some sort of spiderman-like web. DO we need to do that because the Turkey won't fit on the tray? If so, how the hell do you rig that thing?

I saw a few pics with the turkey hanging in a sack or something, too.  I was wondering if whatever it was in would block some of the smoke from reaching it. 

As far as hanging it I think it would be easy enough to do by running the string up through the vent.  I'm thinking of getting a 12-14 lb fresh turkey.

bozer

I really don't want to hang it because I have no idea how to do that. I'd prefer to put it on a tray and into the smoker like everything else. Question is, how big of a Turkey can I jam in there I guess.

viper125

Just got done smoking four chickens hanging. Ran the cotton string around it under the wings and tied. Worked great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bozer on November 15, 2011, 07:58:48 PM
I really don't want to hang it because I have no idea how to do that. I'd prefer to put it on a tray and into the smoker like everything else. Question is, how big of a Turkey can I jam in there I guess.

I either lay mine on the racks and smoke breast side up (no one at the table will see the grid marks on the bottom), or vertical using a vertical roaster. If you smoke/cook it vertical double up your racks for more support. If the turkey is enhanced or kosher, then I don't brine. I have been able to fit a 14 pound turkey inside the smoker. I've seen post where some members have fit an 18 pounder inside. I've never tried a bird over 14 pounds and that was a tight fit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shasta bob

Quote from: bozer on November 13, 2011, 10:31:42 AM
I noticed some people have their Turkey's hanging in their bradley in some sort of spiderman-like web. DO we need to do that because the Turkey won't fit on the tray? If so, how the hell do you rig that thing?

This is the hook that i use to hang my turkey in the smoker , it is a bag hook from Allied Kenco  and i put it through the vent hole.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/search.aspx?find=Bag+hooks

2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

zueth

What is the benefit of hanging a turkey? I always just put in SRG basket on beer can holder.

Shasta bob

I like the looks of the bird hanging, it also provides smoke all the way around the bird. when i do this i soak the bag or stockinette in liquid smoke for a few minutes i think it also helps to keep it from sticking to the bird.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

TedEbear

I was at Cabela's today looking for some cherry wood bisquettes and I bought this turkey rack show below.  With this I should be able to smoke it vertically, like it was hanging, but be able to just set it on the bottom rack.  No grill marks or anything.  I guess I'll see how well it works next week.

Shasta bob

Quote from: TedEbear on November 16, 2011, 06:56:43 PM

I was at Cabela's today looking for some cherry wood bisquettes and I bought this turkey rack show below.  With this I should be able to smoke it vertically, like it was hanging, but be able to just set it on the bottom rack.  No grill marks or anything.  I guess I'll see how well it works next week.

looks great let us know how it works for you!
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Habanero Smoker

That is called a vertical roaster, I have several in different sizes. They works well. That size looks like it was made for turkeys, you can also get them in sizes to fit chickens, and smaller ones for Cornish hens. If possible I try to position the turkey so the breast is facing the door, then rotate front to back once, towards the very end of the smoke/cook time. If I can't position it that way, then I will rotate about every 1.5 - 2 hours.

Make sure you double up on your racks, since the weight will not be evenly distributed, it will be exerting all the force at the center of the rack causing it to bend. Another thing I've learned, after I place the turkey on the racks, I put it on a sheet pan to carry to and from the smoker. It makes it more stable, and after its finished cooking, you don't get any drippings on your floor.

Shasta bob;

I have seen stockinette pre-soaked in liquid smoke on the Sausage Maker site. I'm not one that likes to add additional smoke when I smoke something. How well do they work?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Shasta bob

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 17, 2011, 01:31:57 AM
That is called a vertical roaster, I have several in different sizes. They works well. That size looks like it was made for turkeys, you can also get them in sizes to fit chickens, and smaller ones for Cornish hens. If possible I try to position the turkey so the breast is facing the door, then rotate front to back once, towards the very end of the smoke/cook time. If I can't position it that way, then I will rotate about every 1.5 - 2 hours.

Make sure you double up on your racks, since the weight will not be evenly distributed, it will be exerting all the force at the center of the rack causing it to bend. Another thing I've learned, after I place the turkey on the racks, I put it on a sheet pan to carry to and from the smoker. It makes it more stable, and after its finished cooking, you don't get any drippings on your floor.

Shasta bob;

I have seen stockinette pre-soaked in liquid smoke on the Sausage Maker site. I'm not one that likes to add additional smoke when I smoke something. How well do they work?

I myself cannot notice the additional smoke from the liquid smoke but i does stop the bag from sticking to the skin. when i do my bird this way most people think its ham if they don't see the bird carcass. it must be the cure no#1.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with the regular stockinette.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kummok

For the long term forum users, you might want to be sitting down when you read my next statement.....I am FINALLY going to smoke something besides salmon :o :o 

ThanX for all the GREAT advice on smoking a turkey cuz THIS turkey is gonna give it a go....I'm on this thread today figuring out the brine/rest/thaw/smoke/roast schedule. I'll be using the OBS smoke then TBE to give the turkey a ride. TBE ride will be interesting because it's currently in the 7-10°F range...

Because of all the help on this (and other previous threads and Olds recipe site), I'm confident that the 17 folks (5 locally assigned military guys away from home) coming for 'Dinner Above the Bay' will be in gastronomical Nervana ...pics to follow...

dman4505

Quote from: Kummok on November 18, 2011, 10:55:56 AM
For the long term forum users, you might want to be sitting down when you read my next statement.....I am FINALLY going to smoke something besides salmon :o :o 

ThanX for all the GREAT advice on smoking a turkey cuz THIS turkey is gonna give it a go....I'm on this thread today figuring out the brine/rest/thaw/smoke/roast schedule. I'll be using the OBS smoke then TBE to give the turkey a ride. TBE ride will be interesting because it's currently in the 7-10°F range...

Because of all the help on this (and other previous threads and Olds recipe site), I'm confident that the 17 folks (5 locally assigned military guys away from home) coming for 'Dinner Above the Bay' will be in gastronomical Nervana ...pics to follow...

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!! I better check and see if the moon has fallin' from the sky....lol
Kummok doing something other than salmon
Hope all goes well and look forward to the pictures, and that's a great thing for the military guys as well.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

GoCobbers95

Quote from: TedEbear on November 13, 2011, 08:07:32 AM
I've been doing some extensive Google research on smoking a turkey and here's what I've learned and some methods I will be using.

After preparing the brine (Google search - there are dozens of recipes) let it sit for a day to distribute the flavor throughout the juice.  Then put the turkey in it and let it soak for up to 24 hours. Don't get a turkey that has already been seasoned or it will be too salty after brining.

After the brine wash the turkey completely, inside and out, and pat it dry.  Rub the turkey with olive or vegetable oil or melted butter and sprinkle your favorite rub on the outside as well as several tablespoons inside the cavity.  Carefully lift the skin and add some rub underneath.  I just received a shipment of Rub with Love Turkey Rub that had great reviews on several sites and I'll be using that. 

Smoke at 225-250*F using a fruit smoke.  They say heavy flavors such as hickory or mesquite are too strong for turkey.  Bring the turkey up to temp quickly rather than a long, slow smoke so there's less danger of food contamination.  A maximum size of 14 lbs for smoking is recommended.  Larger birds than that take longer to cook and risk a greater danger of contamination.

Smoke until the internal temp reaches at least 140*F.  At that point place it in the oven at 350*F and finish cooking until the coldest part of the meat reaches 165*F.  That will crisp the skin and avoid the rubbery skin effect that is common with smoking poultry. If the skin is getting too dark cover with a foil tent until it is done.

After removing it from the oven let it rest for 15 minutes before carving to distribute all the juices.  They say if you carve it too soon after cooking it will be dry.

That's all I have.  I might try smoking a test turkey this coming week to see how it turns out.

How long should I expect the cook process to take using this method?