smoke then fry a turkey

Started by mtgrease, November 12, 2011, 01:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtgrease

I am planning on smoking then finishing in a fryer.  Has anyone ever tried this or is this a bad idea?

Wildcat

I think some have done so in years gone by with some success. I have not.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ka Honu

Oil-frying a smoked turkey is not the best way to go simply because the smoke flavor is due to particles of smoke which adhere to the surface of the bird and frying will "wash" most of it off.  There will still be some smoke flavor but not as much as if you smoke and then roast or finish in TBE.  Not a bad method, just not the best one to my taste.

Habanero Smoker

If you do a search on this forum you will find a few who have smoked then fried with good results. If I recall correctly, the only complaints by a few seems to be the finishing color (too dark). You may loose some smoke flavor, but smoke not only adheres, but also penetrated into the meat about 1/8-inch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 13, 2011, 02:07:52 AM... smoke not only adheres, but also penetrated into the meat about 1/8-inch.

I stand sit corrected.

seemore

I have done IT COLD SMOKE THEN FRYED VERY GOOD
SEEMORE

viper125

Talking to a man today who started smoking. I was recommending a recipe and and another old time smoker come in and said smoking turkey is not advised and most sites don't recommend it. Told him I have with out incident. Also that there are those who say smoking any meat is. Man he don't know what he's missing!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: viper125 on November 14, 2011, 04:00:09 PM
Talking to a man today who started smoking. I was recommending a recipe and and another old time smoker come in and said smoking turkey is not advised and most sites don't recommend it. Told him I have with out incident. Also that there are those who say smoking any meat is. Man he don't know what he's missing!

In the technical term of "smoking" he cpuld be right. You shouldn't "smoke" a turkey or poultry unless it is cured. When a source outside this forum refers to smoking, they are likely referring to smokehouse smoking which uses temperatures of 100°F - 180°F for hot smoking, or below 90°F for cold smoking, which is definitely unsafe for uncured poultry for a long period of time. During most of our smoke/cooks, we use the term smoking, but we are using temperatures that are considered in the range of barbecuing, which are temperatures that are safe range of cooking meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mtgrease

Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm going for it and I will let everyone know how it turns out.

cajunboudreaux

I do this every year with anywhere from 5 to how ever many i do.
I smoke in my Bradley for 1-2 hours with medium setting then deep fry @ 325 for 3 minutes per pound.
Some i inject, some i brine.. You will absolutley love it.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Kitchen Commander

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on November 18, 2011, 11:49:26 AM
I do this every year with anywhere from 5 to how ever many i do.
I smoke in my Bradley for 1-2 hours with medium setting then deep fry @ 325 for 3 minutes per pound.
Some i inject, some i brine.. You will absolutley love it.

Cajun, thanks for the reply to my post on the smoking, frying deal too.  Do you think 3 hours cold smoking with apple wood would be good.  I'm brining both birds for 2 days with a brine recipe I got off of allrecipes.com
I'll smoke one after I brine, then plunk it in the deep fryer will internal temp is 160.
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.