Maple Cured Bacon and Canadian Bacion at the same time

Started by jiggerjams, November 12, 2011, 03:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

I had frieds that requested delicious 10.5 Maple Cured bacon so I grabbed four slabs for them. I thought I might as well try my hand at making Hab's Dry Cured Canadian bacon so I took 28 lbs out of the freezer to fill the smoker. I have finished the cure stage and rinsed / soaked the MCB and DCCB and both are in the fridge air chilling over night.

I over looked the fact that these two products cook at different temperatures. The MCB cooks at 160F and the DCCB cooks at 225F. Is there a way that I can cook both at the same time? If yes how would you do it?

Thanks,
JJ

KyNola

Yep, cook both at 200 degrees.  Will take a little longer for the Canadian Bacon than normal..  Monitor the temp of the CB and don't go above around 140, no more than 145.  For the MCCB monitor the IT of the slabs so they don't go past 150.  All will work out well.  You probably could actually smoke/cook them both at 225 as long as you monitor the IT of the meat.

Don't sweat it.  You've got this! 

jiggerjams

Thanks for the advice KyNola. The four slabs of belly bacon will fit on two trays and I was wondering if keeping the belly slabs rotating in the two top trays of my DBS6 would also assist in keeping the temperature lower for the belly bacon.