Pucks Won't Auto Feed

Started by dwray01, November 13, 2011, 10:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwray01

Just bought new original smoker.  Hooked up system, and when I started using it the pucks would not automatically advance.  Just wondering if anyone has some info.  I have no experience with these.  As I said it's just my first time using it.  Thanks for any info.

beefmann

open up the  smoke generator,  removing only the outer screws , attach any  loose connections,  that go only to the smoke generator motor  or control motor, some times they  get  moves about and come  loose

mikecorn.1

Ditto on beefmans post. Usually the problem is that the pucks keep advancing indicating a bad micro switch. I would venture to say that it's a loose connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

If the above help doesn't work, can you provide more information.

Do you hear a motor running, trying to advance the bisquettes?

Does it manually feed when you push the advance button?

Is the feeder tube inserted properly so that its position is straight up?

Here is a link to some trouble shooting tips. It will also help you narrow done what the problem could be:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

If, as Habs has asked, your motor is trying to advance the puck but failing, try this low tech solution: Get a piece of wood trim long enough to reach from front to back of your smoker box. Put the trim under the 2 legs on the generator side of the box which will give a slight downhill slant to the pucks as they get moved along to the burner. I used to have trouble with intermittent puck feed and ripped apart my generator to clean and grease everything a couple of times to no avail. My wife suggested giving the pucks a downhill run by using the trim and I've never had a problem since.
T2

manxman

I had a mechanical problem with the puck advance mechanism in that the drive rods were either
misaligned or damaged.

When the puck advance mechanism tried to drive the puck forward there was a tension that build up in these drive arms that was released with quite a noticeable cracking / snapping noise which was repeated each time the arms went round. The block that actually moved the puck forward sort of vibrated but never went anywhere!  >:(

This happened on both automatic and manual cycle and the only answer was a replacement generator. (under warranty)
Manxman

JZ

I see you live in Manitoba and I am guessing it is pretty cold there right now. I had a problem with my SG not advancing pucks once. The motor was working and I could hear clicking noises but the pucks would not advance. It was well below freezing outside and I took it into the house until it warmed up and tried again. Problem solved. The SG worked fine after that and the problem has not reocurred.

anderson5420

Been a long time since I posted here...had a bit of a probleml ast February and joined the stent club, so was off fatty meat for a while. I figure all things in moderation, a life without beef and pork is not worth living!

Anyway, same problem as title of this thread...decided to do some beef snack sausage, smoke generator heats up, I hear the motor clicking, but the pucks simply don't advance. I am sure I am way out of warranty (what is the warranty period, anyway?).  Have tried elevating the SG side to see if giving them a downhill run would make any difference, it doesn't.  Taking the sucker apart does not seem like something ol' Pat should even attempt...read why here.  Anyway, I need to make this functional again.  Is there a US factory authorized Bradley service center ?
So many recipes, so little time!

Habanero Smoker

Hi anderson5420,
Good to see you posting again.

It could be so many things. Have you looked at the FAQ section on the recipe site.

As for non-mechanical fixes, since you hear the motor running, I would remove the bisquettes to see if the shuttle (drive arm) is moving all the way back enough for the bisquette to drop down. Next check the feeder tube and make sure that is seated straight. When you refill the tube, make sure all the bisquettes straight. Also since you haven't used your smoker in a while, check the bisquettes to see if they were exposed to too much moisture during storage which could have caused them to swell and not feed correctly.

If it is mechanical, maybe you can get one of your friends who is pretty handy fixing stuff to take a look at it. Most of the trouble shooting can be found on the FAQ section. In return offer him some of your smoked goods.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

anderson5420

Whoo-hoo!  I think I got 'er going again!  At least brief test worked. 

I took the pucks out, removed the feeder tube, and took the case off.  Then I plugged 'er in to see what exactly was going on.  The pusher would go about half-way, and something (the motor?) would just start clicking and it would not go any further.  And it would not retract either.  So I did my best to clean all the little bits of wood out, oiled the pivot points on the arm and oiled the track the pusher travels on.  All SEEMS to be working now!  The real test should be coming up some time between Christmas and New Year's Eve!

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you got it running again. The clicking sound has me concerned. If it was only an obstacle interfering, the motor would reverse. The clicking sounds may be a sign of stripped gears, and you may be on borrowed time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

anderson5420

Well, we shall see! I don't know about factory service in the US, but at Birch Bay, WA, we are only a short drive away from the factory in Surrey, BC! But keeping fingers crossed!

Bluewedge

I was able to fix a similar issue I had with the puck advance binding around 3/4 back and then reseting direction. What I discovered was the that brass bushing in the puck mover that rides in a sheetmetal slot was binding in several spots, particularly at 3/4 back. Several places in the slot had copious amounts of powered coat causing the slot to be thinner and binding the bushing. Using a small fine file I smoothed out the slot eliminating the binding.

Thinking back, the puck mover always seemed to hesitate around 3/4 back. Now the pucker mover moves smoothly throughout its cycle.

If you are not mechanically inclined, I would recommend sending the SG back under warranty if you are having similar issues.

frepar

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 14, 2011, 02:45:27 AM
If the above help doesn't work, can you provide more information.

Do you hear a motor running, trying to advance the bisquettes?

Does it manually feed when you push the advance button?

Is the feeder tube inserted properly so that its position is straight up?

Here is a link to some trouble shooting tips. It will also help you narrow done what the problem could be:
Bradley FAQ's

Habs... i did this and it worked wonderfully....

i have a puck advance killer switch to stop the plunger when i'm not smokin (here you can see it in the middle ).... could this be the cause the need to reset?

Habanero Smoker

Hi frepar;

I see the cut off switch, but can't recall your post on this modification; I don't read all posts. I can't recall how you wired the PID and that switch. The first thing I'd do would be to make sure none of the wiring is in the way of the movement of the motor arm.

The killer switch is a good idea, but the rocker switch right next to it is also used to turn off power to the plunger and the bisquette burner. If you didn't disconnect the rocker switch, maybe it has to do with how you wired the killer switch.

If you are using the PID to control your smoke time, I would review your PID settings. I don't have a PID so I am not familiar with programming them. There are many who can help you with the PID programming.

I
         don't
                   inhale.