Pucks Won't Auto Feed

Started by dwray01, November 13, 2011, 10:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frepar

Habs:

the toggle is a spst that cuts the circuit on one of the two 16-18ga black wires that go to the motor itself...

pretty sure i have enough room for the arm to move....

and i dont have the PID runnin the SG, strictly to the cabinet...

it was just a detour question, the whole reset thing worked... i was just wondering if my putting a toggle to cut power to the motor would hurt the operation of the timer...

TedEbear

I'm also not fully understanding why you have a switch just to turn off the puck advance when you're not using the SG.  The OBS comes with an on/off switch that cuts the power to the puck heating element and the puck advance, all in one. 

If you need to have the 125W SG heating element left on to assist in getting the cooking chamber up to temp it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to have the puck advance motor cycle every 20 minutes.  It certainly won't hurt anything. The energy saved would be miniscule.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: frepar on January 11, 2012, 10:14:41 AM
Habs:

the toggle is a spst that cuts the circuit on one of the two 16-18ga black wires that go to the motor itself...

pretty sure i have enough room for the arm to move....

and i dont have the PID runnin the SG, strictly to the cabinet...

it was just a detour question, the whole reset thing worked... i was just wondering if my putting a toggle to cut power to the motor would hurt the operation of the timer...

Now I understand, you are cutting off the motor but still maintaining power to the bisquette burner. No that would not interfere with the timer, it would be the same as using the rocker switch that Bradley installed. That's a pretty good idea, it would save wear and tear on the motor. Looks like a very easy modification.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

frepar

BINGO!!

i originally did it so i could get an extra 150w of heat in the cabinet by leaving the SG plate on.... and not wear out my motor.... probably dont need it anymore with two elements... but ya, when i looked into puttin the PID in, it seemed as though everyone that put the PID into the SG had a kill switch on the motor itself...

peer pressure i guess  :)

thanks for the input though!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: frepar on January 13, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
BINGO!!

i originally did it so i could get an extra 150w of heat in the cabinet by leaving the SG plate on.... and not wear out my motor.... probably dont need it anymore with two elements... but ya, when i looked into puttin the PID in, it seemed as though everyone that put the PID into the SG had a kill switch on the motor itself...

peer pressure i guess  :)

thanks for the input though!

I don't read all posts, so I wasn't aware that others had been doing this. I learn something new everyday.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)