Smoked Dog Salmon

Started by Fisher, October 25, 2011, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisher

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 01, 2011, 01:48:44 PM
Caught one or two of them rock Cod while halibut fishing - the one time I've gone halibut fishing.  Pulled up a big ling cod also - kinda scared me!   We do have walleye around here (Nashville), but not many people fish for them.  Many fish for a cousin - sauger.  I've caught one walleye here in TN.  I was wading in the Caney Fork throwing some soft hackles at some fun brookies when something bumped my upstream leg.  It was a walleye floating but still alive.  Being conservation minded as I am, and not liking to see things go to waste, I reached down and grabbed that sucker.  Don't keep any trout, so didn't have a stringer, a creel, or anything.  so threw it up on the bank.  Then I remembered that we had a lot of minks around, so went back to retrieve it.  Took my belt off and secured it to the belt with the buckle.  I got the fish home, but almost lost my shorts a few times!   Those pics above were from a trip to middle SK.  About 600 to 700 km above Mr. Walleye, near Stanley Mission. 

The beer - the only ones around.  And although I don't drink anymore I had one and it wasn't half bad - somebody left the water back at camp.   ;D

Right on....Good story Caney.

Happy Smoking

Quarlow

Nice looking sandwich Caney but you watcch out for that Canuck beer. It has real acohol content in it, not like the stuff your use to. Eh.  ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Caneyscud

That explains it then!  I hadn't had a beer in 5 or 6 years (too many carbs) and I was a little light headed.  I thought it was just that rarefied Canadian air! 

BTW, I could have eaten 6 or those sandwiches.  The second day we deep hooked a couple of jack pike and fried them up also - They were surprisingly very good.  But I guess if you fried up my wading boots in lard - they'd taste good also!   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

kickedback

Caney, that looks awesome. Did some bluegill and taters over the camp fire this summer. That was a great time. Might of had a few beers to to wash it down. I think I should head south and let you show me how the fishin' is down there.

Caneyscud

I tell ya, we are in sort of a fishing nirvana around here.  About the only freshwater fish you can't catch somewhere around is Northerns and salmon.  We don't have the best of any fishing, but we have some of everything - from carp to musky  And we don't do any ice fishing around here - you'd get wet and that would be stupid.   ;D
And the coast is only about 8 hour drive away - so even salt water isn't too big of a problem

Quote from: kickedback on November 02, 2011, 04:57:27 PM
Caney, that looks awesome. Did some bluegill and taters over the camp fire this summer. That was a great time. Might of had a few beers to to wash it down. I think I should head south and let you show me how the fishin' is down there.

Fisher

Caney....

It sounds like you have some good fishing in your parts.  Yes the ice fishing in Nashville would not be good.  It would be great if you hit the coast and we did some fishing, and we would have to give Q a call too.

Happy Smoking

CK

That Chum looks like it turned out great, great color.

I have never smoked chum before, was it dry ??? I know the Chum have least amount of fat so I was wondering if it would of dried out a bit.

Great looking fish. 8)

Quarlow

Chums are my smoker fish of choice.I like them cause they tend to be even thickness for the most part. I have never found them dry when I payed atteion to the fish near then end. A couple of times I missed the finish and over cooked but if you rotate and watch them they come out great. This is what we have been smooking since I was just a little guy in dad's UPS (ugly plywood smoker).
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

JZ

I like the UPS comment, although I'm sure a certain courier company may not like that description.

Quarlow

Hey what happens on the forum stays on the forum. Ya know what I mean vern.

OBS
BBQ

JZ

Ya -- its the same where I live about 20 miles past the middle of nowhere. The only person that knows what happened around here is me and I can't remember what I did this morning ------- so it probably didn't happen.

Fisher

Quote from: CK on November 10, 2011, 03:15:57 PM
That Chum looks like it turned out great, great color.

I have never smoked chum before, was it dry ??? I know the Chum have least amount of fat so I was wondering if it would of dried out a bit.

Great looking fish. 8)

Hi CK...

No the chum was moist. The IT was between 130F and 140F.  From smoking Sockeye, Spring, and Coho I did fine I had to watch and rotate the racks more. The chums were smaller then normal in this batch.

Happy Smoking

JZ

That chum has a nice red colour to it, even before smoking and then you nailed the smoke. It looks awesome, the colour is great and there aren't any boogers it. I'd be proud. Way to go.

Caneyscud

Quote from: JZ on November 10, 2011, 06:50:47 PM
Ya -- its the same where I live about 20 miles past the middle of nowhere. The only person that knows what happened around here is me and I can't remember what I did this morning ------- so it probably didn't happen.

There must be something in the Canadian drinking water.