Thanksgiving Turkey

Started by Thomas DeWitt, November 14, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas DeWitt

Hello all,
I have smoked a Thanksgiving Turkey in a Brinkman Water Smoker for the last 10 years.  I have used a soy sauce/sesame brine to marinate for 24 hours and it has always been a crowd pleaser.  My Brinkman became old and rusted so I finally tossed it out.  While looking for a new smoker I came upon this site.

So after much reading, today I purchased a Bradley Digital Smoker and a Char-Broil SRG.  From what I have read, it seems that many of you enjoy a Turkey smoked for 4 hours and then finished in an SRG.

My Question, I need suggestions on the brine and recipe.  I have tried to cull through the posts but have not had a lot of luck searching through the posts.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I need this to be a success as I have many guest coming over for Turkey Day.  I will probably cook a 12 to 14 # turkey and supplement with a Ham or something else.
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.

Ka Honu

You can use whatever brine/injection/rub you like.  The only caveat is you shouldn't use anything that leaves too much sugar on the surface - the infrared heat in the SRG may blacken it more than you want.  I usually smoke the bird for 2-3 hours max and finish in TBE/SRG until I get to the desired internal temperature (165-170o).

La Quinta

I do the same as Ka Honu...but I move it into the oven in the house...I have to smell turkey in the house that one day a year..but I stuff my turkeys...old school...I am gonna be 50...my Mom 78...we have never been ill from the stuffing...I don't get the recent year's panic about stuffing in a turkey?

Thomas DeWitt

Thanks for the replies.  I can't wait to smoke my Turkey.  Today my smoker came in the mail.  It was badly dented so I emailed Amazon.  They are sending me a second one overnight no charge.  That is nice. 

So, one more question.  Do I leave the lid of the SRG open.  I read in a post that some leave the lid open.  I really don't understand that part.  Also, how hot should the SRG be.  I have never used one.

Thanks,
Tom
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.