Dual Element Mod

Started by JZ, November 14, 2011, 10:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Bradeys reply about the OBS slider is "its not designed to handle power of two elements" So better make sure slider is out of the loop.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Jacktucky

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 15, 2011, 12:52:25 PM
As beefman pointed out, you shouldn't add the second element without a PID or other type of external controller. Daisey chaining them in the DBS without a PID, you are leaving it up to the circuit board in the generator to control 1000 watts, when it was designed to control 500 watts.

Hi I want to confirm that I cannot hook up a 2nd 500 watt element to my DBS without adding an external PID.

I followed the directions over at susanminor and I was about to make holes in my ceramic doohickeys when I stumbled on this thread.

Thanks, Jack.

GusRobin

You should have some type of controller can handle 1000 watts
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jacktucky;

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to see that you missed the warning that is written just before the instructions. You do need some type of temperature controller, since the Bradley digital generator was designed to handle 500 watts, trying to have it control 1000 watts would not be safe. Since you have gotten this far, I would go ahead and complete most of the wiring, but do not connect the hot wire of the second element to the A/C receptacle until you get a temperature controller such as a PID; BBQ-Guru, Stoker etc. For more information on the Guru and Stoker click on the below links:

BBQ Guru Power Raptor Hookup

Stoker/Power Raptor Hookup

The Wat-Troller - DIY SSR Switch Controller
Homemade Power Raptor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)