Turkey brine ?

Started by watchdog56, November 15, 2011, 07:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Well I plan on doing 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving. Both are about 12 lb. WE have about 30 people coming. I plan on doing one in the smoker and finishing in the oven to get a crisp skin and the other will be done in  a roaster. I have 2 turkeys,one is a Butterball which has 10% sodium and an 8% solution consisting of water,2% or less of salt,modified food starch and sodium phosphates.
The other is a Californian turkey  which is 8 1/2% solution of turkey broth,salt,sodium phosphate,sugar,and flavorings. It consists of 12% sodium.
Do I need to brine either one of these?
Also no matter which one I brine(or not brine) I will be doing 4 hours of cherry smoke. I want to have it in the smoker for maybe 6 or 7 hours and then put in oven at 325 until IT hits 165-170? What temp do I need to cook at in the smoker?

devo

I dont think you need to brine it, at least I wouldn't. The one I did last year was 13 lbs. In the smoker at 220*F for six hours and the IT was 165*F so that will give you a rough time frame.

watchdog56

That looks great :P. Did it have a crispy skin or did you put it in the oven to get a crispy skin?

devo

I had to but it in the oven to crisp up

watchdog56

Do you remember how long you had to put it in the oven?

devo

I think it was 350* for 40 min. but i'm really not sure on that.

ArnieM

I wouldn't brine them.  They have enough chemicals added now.

It's nice to have a time estimate but you really have to cook by temp.  It's done when it's done.

If the breast was at 160 or so, I'd put it in the oven at 375-400 for half an hour or so to crisp up.  But again, check the IT.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.