16 days on the cheese test

Started by Sailor, November 16, 2011, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Did a big batch of cheese and it has been 16 days of aging.  Did a taste test after 7 days and it was an ashtray.  Then did a test at 12 days and it was mellowing but still not there.  Just cut into the block I have been testing and it has really mellowed in the last 4 days and is edible but it is still not there yet.  Will test again in a week.  Betting that it will be getting close.

Yum

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

devo

4 weeks is what I found to be the magic number, any thing after that it just gets better

Keymaster

I wish I would have got off my Lazy hind end a month ago and smoked some cheese!!

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Jim

I think i still have some going over a year now. Might have to open one up and taste.

zueth

4 weeks minimum, as others have said the longer you wait the better.

ghost9mm

Yes !!! Imo I think 4 weeks the minimum and justs gets better....
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

DTAggie

4 weeks is ok.  I just cut into some pepper jack and some cheddar done in May.  NOW that is good!

OU812

Just my opinon,,,,,,if you wipe off the sweat before the cheese cools you will loose the ash tray taste.

Then allow to cool, uncovered to room temp before you seal and chill works for me.

Just sayin.

La Quinta

I go three weeks...two maybe if it's a softer cheese...but...I have cheese in the fridge (vac sealed) from at least a year ago...

I am patiently waiting for our weather to cooperate...

FLBentRider

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 16, 2011, 05:22:39 PM
Looks good Jim

I think i still have some going over a year now. Might have to open one up and taste.

X2
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Stickbowcrafter

Heck I wish smoked stuff could last a year around here without getting eaten. I can barely keep them out of the smoked cheese for a month.

-Brian

jiggerjams

Now that is some good info. Thanks for the tips Curt.