CHEESE GONE WRONG

Started by nodak, December 28, 2005, 11:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

My first cheese smoke a flop. I smoked several kinds of cheeses (cheddar, swiss, monrayjack, Mozzerala) on Friday afternoon. Smoked with 2 Oak and 2 Apple alternating.  I had cut the pieces into 1"x2"x3", just to experiement. I think it still tastes like an ashtray(assuming it's what an ash tray would taste like, no I won't taste an ashtray).  So any of you masters have any ideas what I did wrong or not do right?????

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Thunder Fish

Wrap in plastic for at least 2-3 days even than it still will have a heavy smoke flavor to it.I wait 2 weeks min. before eating it. follow these links for more info.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2720
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2715&SearchTerms=cheese

JJC

I think the pieces are too small for a 3-4 day rest period . . . very high surface area.  Put the cheese back in the fridge for another 10 days and try again, as TF suggests.  Try using 2x2x6 pieces next time.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

nodak

Still bad, but has mellowed a little, almost has a tin after taste to it Too.  Looking back I didn't wash my racks when I seasoned the smoker.  Quickly washed them off before smoking cheese should,ve put them in dishwasher?  I was in hurry.  Maybe smoked too long??  Maybe we don't like real smoked cheese?

Will put back in fridge for a week.

Not giving up. I'll have to try again with bigger piece.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

IKnowWood

not cleaning after seasoning should not be the issue, especially it you did rinse them.

i did notice some of my cheese tasted a bit better 2 weeks later.  the sharp Cheddar (dense) was good the day after and still good 4 days, 1 week and 2 weeks later.  its all gone now.  
The Swiss did not take the smoke whatsoever

the Hot-Pepper did not taste good 2 weeks later, still to ashy.

How long did you smoke?  I only did mine for 1 hour.  

next time I will extend the cold smoke a little, but not use hot-Pepper or Meunster.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nodak

did mine 80 minutes, I'll just experiment with bigger pieces.

iscreamer1

OK so my cheese got oily and limp. Can I not eat it? Other than that remote box for the somke is there another way to keep the temp down?

Thx you guys

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">OK so my cheese got oily and limp. Can I not eat it? Other than that remote box for the somke is there another way to keep the temp down?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

May be ok to eat, just that oily and limp cheese does not sound very appetising! The fact that it sounds like it has been cooked to some extent means that it may not store very well either.

To me the remote box is by far the best way to cold smoke, however others just disconnect the smoke box lead from the generator and use ice in the base of the smoke box to keep the temperature down.

Some people but ice in a bowl, when I have used ice I tended to use the plastic ice packs used in cool boxes, they are non toxic and there is insufficient heat involved to melt them provided they are not put too close to the puck heater element.They pack nicely in the base of the smoker.

I sometimes use a combination of ice and remote box on the hottest days but, as I have alreay said, to me the best method of cold smoking is the remote box, I now smoke all my cheese that way.

Manxman.
Manxman

IKnowWood

If youre ambient temps are above 70 degrees you could get this also with a remote box for the smoke generator.  also depends on the damper.  If you have it all closed up, the air inside will also get warmer as there is not enough escape for the heated smoke nor moisture that will accompany the smoke.

Make sure you do crack the top of the smoker to allow the smoke to leave, but also watch the temp in there and keep it under 70 degrees.

If needed you might have to put the ice tray in there WITH the remote smoke box to keep temps down.  But also remember to open the damper to limit the moisture in there.  

Good luck.
IKnowWood

nodak

Ok, the cheese and I parted ways last night.  Finally threw it in the garbage, it still was terrible.  Not giving up though, one of the next cold days I will try with a whole brick and only 40 minutes smoke.  I am accepting any other ideas anyone may have.

IKnowWood

Mike

try just using oak or cherry for only 1 hour.  Cold, under 50 deg if possible.

I will try it again but will just use Sharp Cheddar. With a peice only 1 inch thick 2 inch wide about 4 inch long.  And I will lt it rest a week only.  

That has worked great for me in the past.  

I would also use Jarlsberg for 1 hr 20 min (or 1 + 40 min) of Cherry.  Jarlsberg does not take it as well.

If the Ash taste is to much, just reduce the time even further.  Make sure the cheese is try before and after smoking.
IKnowWood

IKnowWood

I guess the idea is you tried variety and technique and one failed.  So lets set a baseline os something you like that is dense enough to work thru the experiment.  As I suggested Sharp Cheddar is a good dense and workable medium.

Then work on the technical elements.  Then when you feel good, change the baseline slightly and try again.  Eventually you will establish a complete understanding of what works for your tastes and understandings.

Its all about scientific method when doing something new.  reduce variables if you don't feel comfortable taking chances.
IKnowWood

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IKnowWood</i>
<br />
Its all about scientific method when doing something new.  reduce variables if you don't feel comfortable taking chances.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In my biz that's called the N-1 approach:  change just one thing at a time . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

I have a large cardboard box that I've rigged as a "remote smoker" for cheese and nuts.  I don't use ice or ice packs, and I leave the damper at least 3/4 open.  I've never gone more than 5-7F above ambient.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

But with ambients at 70 degrees?  or 80 even, is cold smoking done till cooler weather?
IKnowWood