New Space Age Bradley Prototype

Started by JZ, November 18, 2011, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

This is first showing of the ALL NEW 2012 SPACE AGE Bradley.

It will be going through its initial testing stages later today.

Keymaster

Its the all new Bradley Snuggy :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

ArnieM

OK, I'm slow.  The Bradley is already insulated.  Why the extra?  God bless duck tape  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

I'm telling NASA and the NGIA on you.

JZ

Arnie.

I and many others have found that the smokers take a long time to heat up and to recover once the door has been opened to load it, especially in cold weather or if it is windy outside. Some have added second elements to their smokers to improve heat recovery.

The results are in and WOW. I turned the smoker on at 12:00 noon and set the heater for 230*F (forgot to turn on the puck burner - so just the heater was on). Went inside and got the bird parts out of the fridge. Rinsed the brine off and then rubbed them down. At 12:15 the smoker temp was 208*. Put the cold bird parts in, stuck the remote temp probe in the bird, closed the door and started the smoke generator. The temp dropped to 183* and by 1:00PM it was at 228*

The outside temp is -6*C (about 20*F) and there is slight breeze.

Hopefully the "SNUGGY" will hold together for the whole smoke and many more to come. I am very happy with the results.

I know what NASA is but what is NGIA?

ArnieM

You have my congrats.  You may be on to something here.  There are a bunch of old dogs here (me included) who discovered adding bricks, a big water dish or other mass helped.  It was all experimental and that's part of the fun.  You might have the newest 'fix' there.

BTW, don't mention N-G-I-A again.  These communications might be monitored and they'll come for you.   :-\
-- Arnie

MidKnightRider

Hmm,
NIGA?
Take your pick.
Nursery & Garden Industry Australia 
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency 
New Gwadar International Airport (Pakistan) 
Nebraska Grocery Industry Association (Lincoln, NE) 
NGIA National Geospatial Information Agency (US Federal Geographic Data Committee) 
NGIA Novell GroupWise Internet Agent
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

RFT

I use the same stuff except I dont use tape.  I wrap the whole smoker and use Velcro to hold I shut.  I have a pic I will post when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

JZ

Ok, I am keeping my eyes open for new black SUV's with guys wearing black suits and wearing dark sunglasses.

They'll be easy to spot with all the snow around here.

ArnieM

They have white SUVs and white suits up there  8) 8) 8) 8)
-- Arnie

cathouse willy

The extra insulation and wind protection makes it well worth the few bucks. Here's my obs in her "space suit"

NePaSmoKer

My hat.

Cant say no mo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

KyNola

JZ,
Help me to understand your post and results.  The air temp outside is approximately 20F when you turn on the tower burner at 12:00 so I am going to estimate the temp inside the tower prior to turning on the heating element to be 50F at the very most.  In 15 minutes the temp has risen 158 degrees.  At that point you open the door and place the chicken parts in the smoker and turn on the puck burner which would be an additional heat source.  The temp in the tower only drops 25 degrees to 183F and it takes 45 minutes to go up 45 degrees.

Two questions for you.  What were you using to measure the temps in the tower and how many pounds of chicken did you load in the tower?

JZ

KyNola,

The temp readings are based on those displayed on the DBS SG. When I turned the smoker on the temp reading inside the box read 32*F - I am guessing that is the lowest the display will show. It took a few minutes before the temps started to increase but once it started they seemed to increase fairly quickly. Something I didn't mention is that when I turned the smoker on I had the vent closed to aid in heat gain and I put hot water in the puck bowl.

I am not sure how much the chicken parts weighed but it consisted of 4 leg/thigh combo pieces and it pretty much filled one rack. The meat had just come out of the fridge and therefore was cold - no warm up period. When I put the chicken into the smoker I also opened the vent all the way.

Here is something of note. When I used the DBS, in cold weather, before adding the Snuggy and it was up to temp, I felt the outside of the cabinet to see if there were any hot spots, which would indicate heat loss. The lower back and lower side where the SG is were very warm. The rest of the cabinet was cool to the touch. After adding the cover and the cabinet was up to temp, I slid my fingers under the cover and found the cabinet was very warm everywhere I could feel. The outside of the cover was only slightly warm on the lower part of the back. Strangely enough the front of the door, which was not covered was cool to the touch. This suggests that there is little to no heat loss through the door. The fact that the rest of the cabinet was hotter after adding the cover, but the outside of the cover was cool indicates that there was significant heat loss through those areas before adding the cover and very little aftewards. I think the cabinet is now acting as a heat mass.

I might be out by 5 or 10 minutes on my time lines, since I did not start out to undertake an experiment. But once I seen what was happening I thought I would try to keep track. But overall the time frame from start up to reaching the 228* temp with the chicken in the cabinet was around 1 hr but not more than 1hr 10 min. Still a huge improvement.