Cold Smoke Salmon

Started by aerostef, November 18, 2011, 10:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerostef

I tried cold smoke salmon for the first time.

I cured the 2 salmon sides for 24hrs using a dry cure:
70% salt
30% Brown sugar
Chopped dill

After the cure, I let the salmon dry in the fridge for another 24 hours.

Today was the smoke day:
6 hours of smoke (50% oak and 50% apple)

The setup:

Inside the smoker. I added a duck breast previosuly cured in salt/pepper/bay leaves, a few garlic bulbs and salt + paprika.

After 6 hours, ready to vacuum pack!

I won't be here to eat this next week so all the salmon will go in the freezer! The duck breast will just rest and dry naturally in a cold room...

Can't wait to try it!

Is there a minimum amount of time (like cheese) before it will be good to try?
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

jbra

crusty044

Hi,
What you have in the smoker looks wonderful. Just message me your address and I will be over in no time.
My experience with smoked salmon is that the smoke penetrates better after the sides were frozen for some time.
The cheese develops a better smoke taste after 10-14 days and vacuumpacked as well.
Do let us know how the salmon tasted with your dry cure. I will have a go at it as I never have used a dry cure before.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.

Tenpoint5

I would suggest that you smoke your salt again. This time use one of the flat style of coffee filters. That will allow you to spread the salt out more so you get better surface area exposed to the smoke. You don't have to cold smoke your salt either. Salt doesn't melt until 2745ยบ F I haven't seen a Bradley get that hot yet!! ;D Although some have tried
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

StickyDan

Real curious about the duck.  Sounds good.

aerostef

Thanks for your comments.
Good idea about the smoke, as the one I've done so far is not very smoky!

I froze all the salmon but will try some next week... will let you know!

As for the duck, I do this fairly frequently. I'm luck y enough to have a steady import of duck breast from a small farm in France.
I use a dry cure: rock salt, pepper and bay leaves for 24 hours. I rinse them and dry them for a day. coat them with either a little honey, calvados or any other tipple of choice. Dry again for a day and cold smoke.
They are REALLY good...
:D
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

aerostef

The taste test went well! The salmon is good, although with a slight ashtray taste still... I might reduce the smoking time next round...
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

jbra

Quote from: aerostef on November 24, 2011, 06:35:18 AM
The salmon is good, although with a slight ashtray taste still... I might reduce the smoking time next round...

What position was your vent set at? Wonder if having it more open and letting the smoke roll/pass freely would help with that.

aerostef

I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

devo

I think if you try the salmon. Tomorrow it will have a better taste. Just let it sit for a while.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.460336,-89.220500

Habanero Smoker

Six hours of smoke may be too much. Although it may taste better after a day or so, you may want to keep your smoke times for the salmon to 1 - 3 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

aerostef

Yes you are probably right. I will reduce the smoking time for the next round! Smoking bacon tomorrow!
I brew my own beer too!
Www.garden-oven.co.uk

Habanero Smoker

I would also keep the smoke to 2 - 3 hours for the bacon, maybe 4 hours but I would not go any longer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)