Pucks not advancing?

Started by chiroken, November 18, 2011, 01:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

I've noticed the last couple of times that the pucks haven't always been advancing. Any ideas? I heard the mechanism go through its thing but the puck doesn't drop/advance. I've noticed it as I first start the smoke by manually advancing the pucks until the 1st is on the burner.

It's happened with 2 different flavours. Could the pucks be too thick? Anyone know about the quality control on puck thickness?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

dman4505

Could be some debris causing the pucks to stick.
When's the last time you cleaned out the stack tube, the heat plate and the generator.
Which reminds me I gotta clean mine before it makes the trip to Branson Missouri, going to see my mother and aunt for Thanksgiving. Will be smoking some ribs and a pork loin for them next weekend.
Just taking a wild guess, cause I have no other ideas

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

chiroken

I did think about debris. Today I took all the pucks out, turned it upside down, gave it a shake. Some of the little bits came out. I then had the same problem. After several tries the pucks then advanced and worked properly through the 2 hrs of smoke. Not sure about inside the generator, is there a way to open it up for simple cleaning? The heat plate isn't the problem, pucks weren't even that far advanced and they weren't moving. I thought about puck thickness cause I saw 1 puck in the bag (wasn't in the smoker at the time) that was clearly thinner than the others. Checked the ones in the smoker and they all looked the same to the eye, guess it could be a fraction of an inch and it could cause it to stick.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

dman4505

Hummm, that's an odd one
Hopefully some of the more ingenious ones on here know something
That was all I could think of.

Habanero Smoker

If the link provided by Devo, or the one provided below does not take you to the correct post, try scrolling down a couple of post. If you can't find it scroll up. Since the update to the recipe site the FAQ link may not bring you to the exact post.

Also this post may provide some additional information.
Why won't my bisquettes advance automatically......

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Chiroken,
The smoke generator opens easily.  Remove it from the tower and turn it upside down.  There will be screws around the perimeter(8 I think?).  Remove those.  DO NOT remove the screws in the center of the generator.  With the perimeter screws removed, the generator should open clamstyle fashion.  Blow out all of the wood crumbs you find in there.(I use a can of compressed air.)  Next, look at the microswitch underneath the puck advance tray.  Clean it with a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab.  Next, I generally spray the pivot points of the arm mechanism with something like WD-40.

The above has a tendency to fix the pucks not advancing issue for me.  Hope it helps you. 

chiroken

Thanks everyone for the info, looks like the lazy way of just giving it an upside down shake isn't always enough  ;)

dman4505

You're welcome, hope ya get it fixed.
Lots of great people here that like to help when needed.
Post some pics of your vittles some time.

Don

chiroken

Quote from: dman4505 on November 19, 2011, 12:45:29 PM
You're welcome, hope ya get it fixed.
Lots of great people here that like to help when needed.
Post some pics of your vittles some time.

Don
Have always got great advice from the forum, and quick too! This is what I made yesterday...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25582.0

mare44b

I had an issue on my 4 year old digital where the puck pusher would only go half way back, then return forward without advancing a puck. After searching the internet for solutions, I disassembled the unit, gave all parts a thorough cleaning and some lubrication however this did not solve the issue so I replaced both the motor and the switch.  This also did not fix the problem.  I disassembled the unit again and removed the new motor and its linkages.  That's when I noticed that the upper linkage that attaches to the pusher had a slight bend in it where it attached to the brass pin on the pusher.  When I replaced the new motor, I did not use the new linkage that came with it as it was easier to just to remove the old motor where it attached to the motor and reused the new motor with the original linkage.  I changed the linkage for the one that came with the new motor and it no longer seems to catch up half way back and is working fine now.  I also notice that when the linkage comes in contact with the switch it does not meet it right on and makes a slight upward jump.  I am wondering if it is this action that caused the slight bend?