Curing Bacon - Again

Started by ArnieM, November 18, 2011, 02:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

There are thousands, maybe even hundreds, of ways, of curing.  This is an experiment for me though my butcher has been doing it for thirty years.

Cure:  50/50 mix of Kosher salt and brown sugar.  Coat a tray well with the mix and snug down the belly, fat side down.  Coat the top with the mix.  Put it in the fridge and forget about it for 3-4 days.  No bag or flipping.

He cut off a 3 pound hunk of Berkshire pork belly for me that he just started.  It went onto a 1/4 sheet pan in my fridge.  It's pretty firm right now and will go into the smoker tomorrow.

He smokes the bacon an 180 for an hour or so and then goes to 135 for about 5 hours.  I have to admit, this goes against almost everything I know.  I'm hoping it won't fat-out at 180.

I'll let you know how it comes out this weekend.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ACW3

Really interested in this one.  I have several 3+ pound pieces of pork belly that I want to cure.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

SamuelG

Let me know ! I have #15 ready to go.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

bears fan

bacon is so easy to make and so much cheaper and much better than the store bought bacon.  Yum.  The brown sugar is an interesting twist.

ArnieM

I have to come and visit some of you people.  A BAC out!

I'll cook some of the butcher's sliced bacon for breakfast tomorrow; can't wait.  The slab won't be done til Saturday night.
-- Arnie

KyNola

Arnie, the bacon shouldn't fat out at a smoking temp of 180.  I smoke my bacon at 200 start to finish, making sure I stop the smoke/cook before the IT of the belly reaches 152.  Never had a problem.

Stickbowcrafter taught me that one.  Glad he's back on here.

Others may say different but I'm happy with the results.

squirtthecat

Ditto!  It works for me as well.

That salt + sugar cure has me intrigued...   

viper125

My wife don't like maple or honey so I use brown sugar all the time.. Very good.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ArnieM

It's coming right along.  The hunk was nice and firm.  Gave it a rinse and dried it off.  Letting it form a pellicle in the fridge would probably been better - oh well.

Ready to go in.  Waiting for the OBS to preheat.

1.5 hours at 180, then 6 hours at 130.  Hickory smoke for the first 2:20.  I'm just following 'structions.

I'm letting it cool down, then wrapped in plastic into the fridge tonight.  The waiting is tough.

I'll give it a half hour in the freezer tomorrow morning then onto the slicer for Sunday morning breakfast.

Edit:  I'll stuff a slice into the DVD drive tomorrow so y'all can get a taste.   ;D
-- Arnie

viper125

ArnieM that looks great. I love that stuff,but if for some reason you don't i'll send my address!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ArnieM

Somehow, I doubt there'll be any left.  But if I get you on the Christmas exchange list ...
-- Arnie

KyNola

Looks great Arnie.  Will be interested to see the sliced results.