Curing Bacon - Again

Started by ArnieM, November 18, 2011, 02:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Quote from: KyNola on November 20, 2011, 08:00:33 AM
Looks great Arnie.  Will be interested to see the sliced results.

I didn't feel too well today so I didn't get to slicing it.  It's wrapped up in the fridge and an extra day in there is probably good for it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Meat tooth

Why Kosher salt? Can you use sea salt instead? New to this, sorry for the dumb question. ???
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

ArnieM

Quote from: Meat tooth on November 20, 2011, 11:20:14 AM
Why Kosher salt? Can you use sea salt instead? New to this, sorry for the dumb question. ???

It's not a dumb question.  It's all in the labeling and marketing.

All salt is sea salt.  Maybe the Kosher salt is blessed - I dunno.  In any case it should be a medium to fine grind.  Pickling/canning salt can also be used.  It's pretty fine to dispolve quickly in cold water.

I guess the thrust here is not to use iodized salt out of those cardboard containers.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Just a tease.  I haven't sliced up my hunk of bacon yet.  I did get some sliced from the butcher for emergencies.

I put a few slices on the little Weber Q in the garage.  I think I have the best smelling garage around  :D

Coming right along.

All done.  It went onto a BLT that my wife and I shared.

If you've done bacon yourself, you know how good it is.  The bacon is dry so even at $8/Lb, you get bacon, not water.

I'll get my hunk sliced up soon.  Didn't feel too good today but I think the wine is helping  :-\
-- Arnie

Meat tooth

thanks for the reply, must try this... sooon
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

ArnieM

I wanted bacon in the morning so I got my lazy aching arthritic rump up and sliced.

The hunk just barely fit on the slicer. 

Finished slicing.  Anything that wouldn't slice was cubed up for lardons.  Probably go into the stuffing for Thanksgiving.

It is really nice looking bacon.  I would have figured the Berkshire pork would have had more fat.  I'll get a final 'cooked' pic up after tomorrow's breakfast.

I gave #2 daughter what was left of the butcher's bacon, maybe a half pound.  I'm bringing up about 12 ounces to #1 daughter on Thanksgiving.  She has her inlaws, the "Brits" over.  They'll get a taste of real food for breakfast after Thanksgiving - no offense to meant to anyone.

The rest is MINE!
-- Arnie

viper125

Looks Great your making me hungry! I always slice the other way. Why because it goes farther LOL. I package for me and the wife and if we need more just take out an extra. That stuff disappears quicker than money around here!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

jiggerjams

Great looking product Arnie. Are you leaving the rind on? My dad use to get bacon with the rind on it when he use to pig farm. Good stuff.

SouthernSmoked

Dang!! I bet that's Mmm   Mmmmm Goood!!!!

Nice job Arnie!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

seemore

that is some good looking bacon
seemore

ArnieM

Haven't cooked any yet.  Been under the weather starting last Saturday or Sunday.  Week as a kitten but not nearly as feisty.  No appetite either.  I'm hoping to cook some up by Saturday.  Sorry for the delay. 
-- Arnie

ACW3

Get better, soon.  Inquiring minds want to know how that good looking bacon really tastes!

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

OU812

The bacon looks GREAT Arnie.

Hope your fealin better my friend.

viper125

OHHHH mY Bacon! I Love it all kinds cooked all ways. Never seen it cured that way but hey lots of way to do things. My question is did you watch to see how long it was between 40-140 degrees? With no cure I would worry a little. Now the higher starting temp my have been enough to get it thru that quickly thats why I ask.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.