Wild Hogs or Wild Boar

Started by SmokinMahHogLeg, December 29, 2005, 05:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMahHogLeg

I am up to mah armpits in wild hogs, so I busted the bank and bought a Bradley Smoker, with the anticipation of stuffin it wit da hogs which have out worn their welcome.  Does anyone have experience and or suggestions in preparing or smokin da wild hawg?
Please help!
Signed,
Desperately Seekin to Smokin A Hawg

Shoot it, clean it, smoke it 'n eat it!

boxertrio

try this link, just adjust for the Bradley, the cook times should be the same just add 4 hours of smoke....and welcome aboard!

http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Recipes-WildBoar.htm

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Alan.  Sounds like yo're going to put a lot of hawg in the BS at one time.  That's great, but be sure to allow lots and lots of time for cooking!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SmokinMahHogLeg

Thank you BoxerTrio! Great link!
So its 250 degrees until internal temperature reaches 160 to 170 degrees...  and consider placing bacon on top.  

I plan to use a combination of hickory and oak - not a big fan of mesquite (saying that is punishable by death in some parts of Texas).

Any other thoughts?

JJC

Hickory and/or oak are great, as is pecan.  Hickory is the traditional flavor in many parts--don't know about Texas!  Mesquite is reviled by some on the Forum and respected by others.  I personally use it, but in the BBradley puck form it is quite strong, so I use about half the smoke time compared to other wood flavors.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

I purchased a 120 pack of Mesquite before I found this forum. After reading comments regarding this presumably toxic wood I have been using it in moderation. I will use 1 Mesquite to 2 Hickory. So far I am still kickin'. To tell you the truth I can't tell any difference from using straight Hickory or mixing Mesquite in with it. I dined on pulled pork today that was somoked with the 1-2 combo and it came out great.

I see I am off the subject here...
 I have some wild hog in the freezer right now. I unfortunately do not have your problem of armpit level hog meat. My wife does not find wild hog very edible but I like it. I would treat it just like domestic pork. I hope you saved to sides for bacon. I have a boston butt (domestic)in the refer. right now curing with the Hillbilly Bacon recipe. I hope you enjoy the versitility of the Bradley Smoker.

Mike Brockman

boxertrio

Mesquite is the devils wood[}:)]

Glenn

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

SmokinMahHogLeg

I assume the recommendation on the Broken Arrow Ranch website to place bacon on top was due to the leaner meat of a wild hog.  I have heard of wrapping turkey breasts with cheese cloth in order to simulate a skin, could this be recommended?

boxertrio

I put bacon in the rack above any meat that I smoke, it really helps with juicy factor!  If you have the whole hog, just use some thick slices of fat instead of bacon.  Owstrich recommended using pepperoni instead of bacon, haven't tried it but I plan on it.

Glenn

isalamon

Hey this thread is a real find.  I just shot two 120 pound hogs yesterday. It was a great hunt....and some pretty fine shooting if I must say so myself...dusk....about 150 yards....and they were trotting.  That was the first one...the other was easier.  

I was planning on smoking the roasts that have been boned out using a combo of hickory and mesquite.  I was also thinking about brining it first in a standard salt and sugar brine with some spices.  Anybody have any experience in brining a hog?  How about freezing after smoking?  I was thinking about doing all 8 roasts at once and then vacuum packing and freezing 7 while chowing right down on number 8.  Any input would be great.

Thanks

curbstop180

hello
welcome smokinMahHogLeg and as for the cheese cloth i used it one time and found that it takes away from the smoke penetrating the item at hand  so if you do i would suggest to use a few more pucks then is called for  but like i say its only a suggestion  [:D]

curbstop180

hello
welcome SmokinMahHogLeg as for the cheese cloth i have used it once before and found that it takes away from the smoke penetrating the item at hand so if you do use it i would suggest useing a few more pucks then what is called for but like i said its only a suggestion [:D]

curbstop180

hello
welcome SmokinMahHogLeg as for your ? on cheese cloth i have used it once before and have found that it takes away from the smoke penetrating the item at hand if you are going to do it i would suggest you use a few more pucks then called for but like i said its only a suggetion [:D]

curbstop180

sorry about all the same replys for some reason my pc was laggin