Heresy

Started by Ka Honu, November 18, 2011, 05:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

I just (finally) got a copy of Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.  People been telling me that this is a "must have" resource so I go for it and start reading.  In the very first part of the book they advocate soaking wood chips or chunks. When I retrieve my jaw, I think about it for a moment.  Nope - no way I can believe that a book so well thought of and recommended tells people to smoke with wet wood.  Must be a typo.  Nope - that's the way they roll - unbelievable!

I'm heartbroken and awaiting guidance.  Should I burn it, return it, or just ignore (or cross out) the offensive passages?  (Those are the only choices - I'm too cheap to send it to those of you who volunteer to help solve my dilemma).

GusRobin

Soak it then put it in the smoker
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

I *had* the same book.  It's geared to the WSM folk.   I donated it to the local library, along with a bunch of Emeril's and "Gas Grill Gourmet" cookbooks people kept giving me.

hal4uk

Yup, Turtle...  I reckon I have a paperweight that resembles yours.
Lemme know if you want a matching set.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

I also have that book.  I agree that the wet wood thing threw me but there are some good ideas for rubs, mops and sauces in there.  At least tear those pages out before you put the book inside a coconut and "set it free". :)

Quarlow

Lots do soak there chips and for "cedar plank salmon" you need to soak the plank. what is the issue again? I sort of remember some chat about not soaking but can't remember, so for the sake of newbies,(and me) please recap.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

La Quinta

I have that book and I agree with Ky...good mops and sauses to an extent...but when I got my first water smoker I made some good stuff from that book...long time ago but for new people to smoking...I like it...the stories are fun anyway...

KH...remember, that book is for the general public...not pro's like you!!!

deb415611

yup, i'm with KyNola & LQ,   I never fully follow any recipe so it's easy to ignore the soaking wood part

Sailor

Soaking wood?  Did that 40 years ago and my Q has never used it since.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Quarlow on November 18, 2011, 09:19:09 PM...I sort of remember some chat about not soaking but can't remember, so for the sake of newbies,(and me) please recap.

On this subject, TBOT (The Book of Turtle) says:

• Wet wood doesn't smoke for a longer time than dry.  It smolders and gives off steam until it's dry enough to burn and then smokes.  Therefore it just smokes "later" for about the same amount of time (and water doesn't penetrate the wood very much anyway so there's no real point).

• The "smudge" (smoke & water vapor) wet wood gives off while it's drying settles on your meat.  Smoke does the same thing but the smudge eventually dries into a "tar" which can impart a bitter taste to your cook. This is why you don't smoke with green wood.

• If you're concerned about "flare-ups," use larger chunks or an aluminum foil pouch or tuna can to hold your chips.
These may not be the correct answers, but they're my answers and, in the final analysis, that's what counts.

OBTW, I figured out what to do with the book - we're giving it as a Christmas present to someone we owe a gift but don't like enough to make it a good one.

Quarlow

LOL that is perfect.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

La Quinta

Really KH? I soaked wood with my bullet smoker for years...big chunks that will take a long time to burn...how come you have gone "sour" on that type of smoking? Lots of people have that type of smoker to start out...

Ka Honu

Quote from: La Quinta on November 20, 2011, 12:30:25 AM...how come you have gone "sour" on that type of smoking?

I never liked the smell of wet wood burning and couldn't figure why anything so seemingly wrong was supposed to be good.

La Quinta

Well...there are many young smokers who need to start somewhere and the Bradley or other brand smokers are out of their price reach...as was with me when I was young...I certainly know that this smoker is better but I couldn't have afforded one in college...so...there ya go...just trying to keep a perspective I guess?

SnellySmokesEm

Nice post...  I must have missed the original!  This subject is almost as sensitive as politics....  haha j/k  :o
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist