Greetings from NE

Started by GoCobbers95, November 19, 2011, 11:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCobbers95

Revived an original bradley smoker for a wedding present 3 months ago and have used it 6 or so times. Love the thing. It makes me jealous, and laugh at the same time when I see pictures of other members smoker/outdoor kitchen set ups because I am currently living in an apartment and run the smoker on my balcony. Apartment complex has a policy against gas powered grills, but nothing on electric smokers!

Have cooked: Chicken quarters, ribs, corn on the cob, full chickens, pork roasts, and hamburgers. All have been tasty but none have been perfect. I suppose that comes with time.

Received a variety pack of bisquettes and have basically been blindly trying different combo. Like some, dislike some.

I really am working hard to figure out best practices for different meats and methods.

My frustrations thus far include:

-Where to stick meat thermometer on a variety of meats for accurate readings. Chickens, turkeys, etc...
-Should I trust my thermometer?
-How to more precisely monitor/set temp on unit without use of a PID. (Can't afford one)
-Best method to crisping skin on chickens/turkeys.

In the next week the smoker will be getting a LOT of work. We are bringing it to both sets of parents and have put together a difficult list of meats. My parents want to smoke a whole duck and pork roast. My wife's parents want to do the thanksgiving turkey and ribs. This weekend is being spent researching cooking methods and possibly doing a test smoke.

I am excited to get to know you all, and look forward to hopefully contributing to the forum!

devo

Welcome to the forum

Q-Where to stick meat thermometer on a variety of meats for accurate readings
A-depends on the cut of meat but I would use the thickest centered part of the meat

Q-Chickens & turkeys
A- In the breast away from the breast bone

Q-Should I trust my thermometer?
A- Depends again if you have good one than why not. Have two to compare.

Q-How to more precisely monitor/set temp on unit without use of a PID.
A-Buy a good thermometer ----Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732

Q-Best method to crisping skin on chickens/turkeys.
A- Oven for 30-40 min. @ 320-340*F

I'm sure you will get better answers but this should get you going  ;)

GoCobbers95

mikecorn.1

Quote from: GoCobbers95 on November 19, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
Thank you for the response.

This is the thermometer I am currently using. It is a Taylor Probe thermometer
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer-Probe/dp/B001GD1WHU/ref=sr_1_19?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1321738283&sr=1-19

You might be able to use that one for monitoring the inside of the smoker. Just hang it below the item you are smoking with a paper clip or something. Give it the ole boiling water test to see if its accurate. You can also buy the Maverick et73 which is the older model and works great for me. It will monitor both cabinet and meat. The new one is the et732. Good luck.
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Here is some additional information on meat temperature probe placement. Scroll down to the bottom until you reach the section "Knowing When The Food Is Done:".

When Is Meat Done?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GoCobbers95

Excellent info all, thank you.

I will put the Maverick on my Christmas list.

Another odd question,

What is the lowest recommended temperature for storage and use of the bradley smoker? Currently my smoker is sitting with a cover on it on my balcony. Snow and freezing temps are coming though. Wondering if I need to make arrangements to get it inside (apartment living :( )

GoCobbers95

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 19, 2011, 01:47:14 PM
Quote from: GoCobbers95 on November 19, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
Thank you for the response.

This is the thermometer I am currently using. It is a Taylor Probe thermometer
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer-Probe/dp/B001GD1WHU/ref=sr_1_19?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1321738283&sr=1-19

You might be able to use that one for monitoring the inside of the smoker. Just hang it below the item you are smoking with a paper clip or something. Give it the ole boiling water test to see if its accurate. You can also buy the Maverick et73 which is the older model and works great for me. It will monitor both cabinet and meat. The new one is the et732. Good luck.

And I folded. Just purchased the Maverick ET732 on Amazon.

ArnieM

Good move on the Mav.  You can sit in front of the fire/TV/Heater and monitor the temp.

Remember, the Bradley is a smoker/slow cooker.  If you want a crispy finish on anything, trot it over to the oven when it's almost done.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

GoCobbers95

Where do you all run the thermometer wire? Out side of door? Through top vent? Mod of smoker case?

dman4505

Quote from: GoCobbers95 on November 19, 2011, 02:29:39 PM
Excellent info all, thank you.

I will put the Maverick on my Christmas list.

Another odd question,

What is the lowest recommended temperature for storage and use of the bradley smoker? Currently my smoker is sitting with a cover on it on my balcony. Snow and freezing temps are coming though. Wondering if I need to make arrangements to get it inside (apartment living :( )

Just keep the wind off her and you'll have no problems. Mine is in my garage and I did a smoke last winter when the temp was below zero.
Run the wire either out the door or thru the vent it's your choice.
Welcome to the site and be sure to post pictures, we love pictures here.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.