Mike's Summer Sausage...

Started by Mr Walleye, November 19, 2011, 08:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tater

I can hardly wait and I won't even get a taste!

pikeman_95

Good things come to those that wait.. Drives you nuts, right. How long until the sample?? Looks good from here. I am going to have to give this a try with some of my next batch. I have so much in the freezer now it will be a while.

Kirby

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pikeman_95 on November 24, 2011, 09:44:42 PM
Good things come to those that wait.. Drives you nuts, right. How long until the sample?? Looks good from here. I am going to have to give this a try with some of my next batch. I have so much in the freezer now it will be a while.

Kirby

Kirby

I'm going to pull it this weekend sometime. I haven't decided which day yet... It depends on the Honey-Do-List.  :D Plus I have to go deliver and install a dishwasher for my son at his house.

It will have lost 22 to 24 % by then which is pretty good. I will definitely post pictures of the finished product and let everybody know how it tastes.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MTFiddler

I don't know how you have the willpower to deny your pallet the pleasure of those tempting treats. They look excellent, can't wait for the final shots and evaluation.

good job.

Lon

pikeman_95

Lon
did you get us a picture of your turkey??

kc

MTFiddler

Quote from: pikeman_95 on November 25, 2011, 07:12:48 AM
Lon
did you get us a picture of your turkey??

kc

Kirby,

By the time I got the camera out there was nothing but a pile of bones that Dad claimed for turkey noodle soup.

Sorry,
Lon

Mr Walleye

Ok... It's update time again.

Here are the weights of my control chub...
- Green weight - 1069 Grams (this was right after being stuffed)(Nov 18 at 4 pm)
- After smoking process and bloom period - 893 Grams (Approx. 16.4639% weight loss (176 grams) from green weight)(Nov 19 at 10:30 am)(61 temp & 60% humidity)
- Nov 20, 7am - 877 Grams (Approx. 17.9607% weight loss (192 Grams) from Green weight)(58.5 Temp & 68% humidity)
- Nov 21, 5 pm - 865 Grams (Approx. 19.0832% weight loss (204 Grams) from Green weight)(59 Temp & 73% humidity)
- Nov 22, 5 pm - 857 Grams (Approx. 19.8316% weight loss (212 Grams) from Green weight)(59 Temp & 70% humidity)
- Nov 23, 5 pm - 849 Grams (Approx. 20.5799% weight loss (220 Grams) from Green weight)(58 Temp & 75% humidity)
- Nov 24, 5 pm - 837 Grams (Approx. 21.7025% weight loss (232 Grams) from Green weight)(57 Temp & 74% humidity)
- Nov 25, 5 pm - 822 Grams (Approx. 23.1057% weight loss (247 Grams) from Green weight)(60 Temp & 72% humidity)

Gettin' close!  :P

Mike

Mr Walleye

It's done!

Here are the weights of my control chub...
- Green weight - 1069 Grams (this was right after being stuffed)(Nov 18 at 4 pm)
- After smoking process and bloom period - 893 Grams (Approx. 16.4639% weight loss (176 grams) from green weight)(Nov 19 at 10:30 am)(61 temp & 60% humidity)
- Nov 20, 7am - 877 Grams (Approx. 17.9607% weight loss (192 Grams) from Green weight)(58.5 Temp & 68% humidity)
- Nov 21, 5 pm - 865 Grams (Approx. 19.0832% weight loss (204 Grams) from Green weight)(59 Temp & 73% humidity)
- Nov 22, 5 pm - 857 Grams (Approx. 19.8316% weight loss (212 Grams) from Green weight)(59 Temp & 70% humidity)
- Nov 23, 5 pm - 849 Grams (Approx. 20.5799% weight loss (220 Grams) from Green weight)(58 Temp & 75% humidity)
- Nov 24, 5 pm - 837 Grams (Approx. 21.7025% weight loss (232 Grams) from Green weight)(57 Temp & 74% humidity)
- Nov 25, 5 pm - 822 Grams (Approx. 23.1057% weight loss (247 Grams) from Green weight)(60 Temp & 72% humidity)
- Nov 26, 7 am - 813 Grams (Approx. 23.9476% weight loss (256 Grams) from Green weight)(58 Temp & 74% humidity)

It turned out really good. It has some heat to it but by no means is it overbearing. The texture is much much more firm. Flavor turned out very good as well. It also has a nice tang to it. I never had a moments problem with the protein lined fibrous casings. They stripped right off no problem.

Here's some pictures of the finished product.

Mike

Tenpoint5

Looks really Good Mike. If you want to experiment with one of the chubs. Leave it in the fibrous casing without vac sealing and let it sit on the bottom of the beer fridge in the back for about a month. To let it dry and shrink some more. That's sort of what happened to mine that I forgot about when it rolled off the shelf it was on
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 26, 2011, 05:51:19 AM
Looks really Good Mike. If you want to experiment with one of the chubs. Leave it in the fibrous casing without vac sealing and let it sit on the bottom of the beer fridge in the back for about a month. To let it dry and shrink some more. That's sort of what happened to mine that I forgot about when it rolled off the shelf it was on

Thanks Chris

I already stripped all the casings off. I have them in the fridge now just setting up before I package them. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time though.

I have to get my but in gear and build a dry cure cabinet. I wanted to build one for a few years now. In fact when Habs was building his I was going to build one then.

Mike

pikeman_95

Mike
Those cut shots look great. I can see a fair amount of red pepper in there. I bet sitting that long some of that pepper did it's thing. Are those cut shots with the casings stripped or not? You mentioned that they had a tang. Did you put something in there to give it the tang??
I think I am going to give this a try next time I make some SS.

Kirby

devo

Kirby I believe Mike mentioned putting in a salami conditioner and that would give it the tang.

bundy

Excellent Job Mike! Well worth the wait.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pikeman_95 on November 26, 2011, 08:26:42 AM
Mike
Those cut shots look great. I can see a fair amount of red pepper in there. I bet sitting that long some of that pepper did it's thing. Are those cut shots with the casings stripped or not? You mentioned that they had a tang. Did you put something in there to give it the tang??
I think I am going to give this a try next time I make some SS.

Kirby

Kirby

Devo is right, I did add Salami Conditioner to it. It does have some of the tang to it. I held it at 100 degrees for 10 hours. Next time I will try going longer, maybe around 20 hours to see how much difference there is in the tang flavor. I may even add a little more dextrose for it to feed off.

The first picture has the casings on and all the rest the casings were already removed.

Mike

MTFiddler

Mike,

They really look good. Now I'm curious to see how they come out of the freezer, will they hold the texture and moisture content that you are after? Let us know.

It's quite a learning experience just watching all of you work your magic.

Thanks to all of you,

Lon