Need help cold smoking chicken

Started by jbra, November 19, 2011, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbra

I once had smoked chicken that I was told was cold smoked whole and never cooked.

It was served cold, and had cool moist texture. Chicken meat was pinkish. Chicken skin was very dark brown from all the smoke.

Delicious.

Anyone has a recipe for chicken like that?

Jim O

Don't think I'd want to eat chicken that hadn't been cooked !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

I've never heard of it. I just can't picture an uncooked cold smoked chicken.

The pinkish color was likely from a cure containing sodium nitrite. If it was cured with sodium nitrite  then it is generally hot smoked. Often a lot of people confuse the terms cold smoke, and hot smoke, so you may want to follow up on the information that was given to you. Hot smoking is using temperatures from 100°F - 180°F, and cold smoking is below 90°F. When the chicken is hot smoked, a temperature between 170°F to 180°F is generally used. You would still bring the internal temperature up to 165°F in the deepest part of the thigh. i

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sailor

No way that I would eat poultry that had not been cooked.  Yikes

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KyNola

Nope, no way, heck no.  Not this guy and I love steak, salmon or tuna tartare.  But "raw" chicken?  Nope.

Habanero Smoker

This topic got me interested, so I did a quick search. I found a couple of cold smoked chicken's, but after the cold smoke, they were cooked at a higher temperature until fully cooked.

Here is one find: Cold Smoke Chicken Legs

You should follow up to make sure the information that was past on to you was correct.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jbra

Perhaps I am mistaken.

Hypothetically, is there any kind of recipe for smoking chicken that involves perhaps curing, then very long period of cold smoking and that's it?

ArnieM

I'm with everyone else.  There are a lot of things I'll eat raw or rare.  Poultry ISN'T one of them.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ghost9mm

Yes...what all the rest said...no poultry of any kind...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jbra on November 19, 2011, 02:36:37 PM
Perhaps I am mistaken.

Hypothetically, is there any kind of recipe for smoking chicken that involves perhaps curing, then very long period of cold smoking and that's it?

None that I can think of, and if you dried cured and cold smoked chicken over a long period of time, the texture would not be moist. I have dried cured cuts of beef, pork and a variety of sausages over a long period of time; uncooked, but never seen one for chicken. Also, though I haven't found a second source for this (though I haven't researched this in a while), but I once came across a reputable site that sells curing products that stated in their description of Cure #1 that sodium nitrite does not kill or control the growth of salmonella.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jbra

Thanks fellas. Hot smoking brined chicken now.

I guess the info I was given must have been wrong.

jbra

Brined in Alton Brown's poultry brine for 6h. Air dried in fridge for 8h.
Rubbed in a mix of salt, pepper, garlic, red and green bell peppers, parsley and garlic infused extra virgin olive oil.
Smoked at 200F in Bradley with Hickory for 2.5h until internal got ot 145F.
Finished in oven at 350 until internal was at 160. Let it rest for 20m under foil.

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ArnieM

Now that looks A LOT BETTER than cold smoked chicken.  Were you satisfied with the result?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jbra

Everything except the skin. I think my rub had a tad too much salt and skin was not crispy enough for my liking.

The meat itself was out of this world.

To get the skin crispier, do i just finish at higher temp in oven than 350?