Smoke turkey then SRG

Started by Thomas DeWitt, November 21, 2011, 06:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas DeWitt

Hello

Trying to do a Thanksgiving Turkey and need some help. I want to use a low sugar brine overnight and then season with Jan's Rub. I then want to finish in SRG. I have been reAding conflicting info on Jan's Rub and the SRG. Will the Rub make the skin too black and bitter due to the sugar content. I have seen a few posts of people using a SRG with Jan's rub and it didn't look like a problem. Anyone with experience?

Thanks,
Tom
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.

Tenpoint5

Tom
I haven't used Jans Rub in my SRG yet. I am just offering a suggestion for you. Put your turkey in the basket then place the whole basket inside your Bradley for the smoking session. Then just drop the basket in the SRG to finish it off. Works pretty slick that way, since the basket fits nicely inside the Bradley
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

zueth

Quote from: Thomas DeWitt on November 21, 2011, 06:07:30 PM
Hello

Trying to do a Thanksgiving Turkey and need some help. I want to use a low sugar brine overnight and then season with Jan's Rub. I then want to finish in SRG. I have been reAding conflicting info on Jan's Rub and the SRG. Will the Rub make the skin too black and bitter due to the sugar content. I have seen a few posts of people using a SRG with Jan's rub and it didn't look like a problem. Anyone with experience?

Thanks,
Tom

You will be fine with Jans Rub, make sure and cook in SRG with lid up

Thomas DeWitt

Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.