Applying rub to turkey

Started by Karaokegod01, November 22, 2011, 11:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karaokegod01

I just made my first batch of Jan's Rub and am getting ready to apply it to the turkey but I have never put rub on a turkey before and have some questions. Should I apply the rub just on the skin or under the skin as well? How much rub should I put on there? Do I put the Turkey directly on the rack or should I put it in a pan of some sorts? What Temp should I cook it at and for how long? (13lb Turkey) Should I finish it in an over so the skin will be crispy?

devo

When I did one last year it was 13lbs. I gave it 4 hours of alder & hickory smoke. I gave a good rub on the skin and any place I could get under it. I had the temp set at 220*F and meat probe in the breast away from any bones. Took just over 6 hours. I also put it on double rack with a pan under it to catch any drippings. IT was 165*F when it was taken out

This was the finished bird  ;)

mikecorn.1

Nice looking bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Karaokegod01

Quote from: devo on November 22, 2011, 11:17:27 AM
When I did one last year it was 13lbs. I gave it 4 hours of alder & hickory smoke. I gave a good rub on the skin and any place I could get under it. I had the temp set at 220*F and meat probe in the breast away from any bones. Took just over 6 hours. I also put it on double rack with a pan under it to catch any drippings. IT was 165*F when it was taken out

This was the finished bird  ;)

Wow you got any leftovers lol