Brining Turkey Boulder?

Started by mlp311, November 22, 2011, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlp311

What's the opinion on brining turkey boulders? Is it going to make a big difference? I'm already going to be mixing up some brine for two chickens I'm going to smoke Friday and got to thinking whether I should brine the boulder as well.

squirtthecat

I've done it with a buttermilk brine...    But they are 'pumped' with so much stuff, it might not be worth the effort/expense.

mlp311

I was thinking the same thing but thought since I was already doing the chickens I would ask. Thanks as always.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

squirtthecat

Sounds like a plan!   The boulder I brined tasted just like any other one I've done.   Maybe some more flavor on the outside, but you can pull that off with a rub.

If you have plenty of brine/space left, drop some more chicken parts in there..   Wings, etc.   Something for the cook to much on.   ;)

mlp311

I do have some chicken legs stuck back in the freezer. May have to thaw them out too.

Where is the best place online to look for various rubs? I haven't found anything in the local supermarkets that jumped out at me. Most of what I find locally are butt rubs, and I would like to find some good poultry and brisket rubs. Im going to try Jan's rub on one of the yard birds this weekend I think. I would like to get a variety to have on hand that I could use for the spur of the moment smokes, which most of mine have been thus far.

squirtthecat

Jan's rub is the place to start.  Good on everything.    Hell, it will make a brick taste good..   ;)

I use a clone of the 'Salt Lick' on huge cuts of meat like butts, brisket, etc.   It's too fiery for chicken/ribs/etc.

KyNola

mlp311, for various rubs, look here www.susanminor.org  Several rubs can be found there.

For the record, my wife is the Jan of Jan's Rub.  We developed it for poultry.  Thanks for giving it a try!

mlp311

Thanks Ky. Everytime I see the rub mentioned throughout the forum it gets rave reviews. Im looking forward to trying it.

mlp311

I just put my turkey boulder in. Strange thing happened. When the bradley got up to temp, 240 degrees, a brown liquid started coming out around the bottom of the door. I checked my water bowl and its not leaking. I can't figure out where the liquid is coming from. Any ideas?

squirtthecat

Is there any condensation built up around the insides/top of the smoker?     Next time you open it, wipe down the door seals and make sure nothing is dripping on the turkey... 

mlp311

I guess it is my bowl. I just opened door and bowl is already half empty. I don't know if it evaporated or what. Bowl doesnt appear to be leaking????

squirtthecat

That's odd.

Do you have a foil pan or something you can put in it's place?

mlp311

There isn't any condensation on walls. There was a lot of liquid between the door and seal on bottom. I dried it up with towel. There does appear to be condensation on the v drip trey, but nothing higher up or dripping down. Water bowl is now holding at half full.

KyNola

If your vent is not opened sufficiently the moisture will condensate in the tower and eventually run out the bottom of the door or worse yet it will "rain" that nasty fluid all over your meat.  Open your vent 100% and leave it that way.  The boulder is giving off a LOT of moisture!

mlp311

I do. I usually use a foil pan, but wanted to try the bowl this time since I've had such problems regaining cabin temps on my prior smokes. Wanted to see if the added water in bottom was keeping temp down. I think im going to put the pan back in.