Smoking a Turky need help

Started by Karaokegod01, November 21, 2011, 08:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karaokegod01

I am gonna smoke a 13lb Turkey in my Bradley and need some suggestions. Anyone got a good recipe? How long should I cook and at what temp? Is there a rub I should use? How long should I smoke it for and how long should I cook it for?

KyNola

I would make up this Rub. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub and apply to the bird after very lightly rubbing the turkey with canola oil.  Next, into the smoker at as close to 250 as you can get it.  Smoke for 3 hours using the wood of your choice. Hickory or apple would be my preference.  After the smoke period continue to cook until done or after the smoke period you could transfer to your house oven to complete the cooking process at 325.

Others will come along with better info for you.

Karaokegod01

Quote from: KyNola on November 21, 2011, 08:51:09 AM
I would make up this Rub. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub and apply to the bird after very lightly rubbing the turkey with canola oil.  Next, into the smoker at as close to 250 as you can get it.  Smoke for 3 hours using the wood of your choice. Hickory or apple would be my preference.  After the smoke period continue to cook until done or after the smoke period you could transfer to your house oven to complete the cooking process at 325.

Others will come along with better info for you.

Alright thanks for the help buddy

KyNola

TedEbear

Quote from: Karaokegod01 on November 21, 2011, 08:42:30 AM
I am gonna smoke a 13lb Turkey in my Bradley and need some suggestions. Anyone got a good recipe? How long should I cook and at what temp? Is there a rub I should use? How long should I smoke it for and how long should I cook it for?

Did you browse through the poultry section of the forum?  Many, many good threads already on the subject with answers to every one of those questions.

Tenpoint5

I would say KyNola has covered it about as good as your gonna get. That rub he pointed you to. That my friend is some stuff of genius. Nothing better on poultry. Save yourself some searching and run with what Larry has pointed out to you and you will be fine. 
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dumoch126

Kynola, since I won't be able to get the smOker much higher than 230, for a 15lb turkey, should I go four hours, then the oven? HOw long in the oven! Also, do you smOke the turkey right on the rack in the Bradley without a pan?  Thank you!

TedEbear

Quote from: dumoch126 on November 22, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
Kynola, since I won't be able to get the smOker much higher than 230, for a 15lb turkey, should I go four hours, then the oven? HOw long in the oven! Also, do you smOke the turkey right on the rack in the Bradley without a pan?  Thank you!

Cook by temp, not time.  Cook until the internal temp in the thickest part of the meat is at least 165*F.  I'm smoking mine until it reaches 140*F and then transferring to the oven until it is done to crisp up the skin.

watchdog56

Should you put the onions and carrots inside the turkey if smoking or leave them out?

KyNola

Quote from: dumoch126 on November 22, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
The amount of smoke is a subjective one.  Poultry is a smoke sponge and takes smoke extremely well.  I find 3 hours is plenty for me but if you prefer an even heavier concentration of smoke, go for it.  By moving to the oven after the smoke period you can cut down on the total prep time.  I would set the oven to 325 and continue cooking until the very thickest part of the breast is 165.  You will also get a nice crispy skin.  You asked about cooking directly on the Bradley rack.  Again, a matter of preference.  I double the racks and place the bird directly on the rack as a pan large enough to hold a turkey may effectively block the heat and smoke preventing it from rising properly.  You can place the vegs in the cavity if that's what you prefer.  One thing to note, be very careful when transferring the bird from the smoker to your house.  It will be full of very hot liquid that will run out on your feet!  Don't ask me how I know that. :o

I am by no means an expert.  That's just the way I would do it.

Habanero Smoker

The safest way to transport the turkey from the smoker to the house is the place the rack holding the turkey on a sheet tray; make sure that is it rimmed. That will catch the juice, and make it easier to carry the load.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)