quick ?

Started by cinchup, December 30, 2005, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinchup

What is the smoked salmon that you buy in the store. Like what you eat with rolls, cream cheese, onions, or I guess whatever else. Is that salmon hot or cold smoked.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

cinchup cold smoke salmon in the store will come sliced very thin and be almost red and come in a 2oz pachage its called lox, the hot smoked salmon will be a chunck of it not sliced in a package size about 4 oz. . just rember if it is sliced it is cold smoked.

cinchup

thanks, I guess I've never seen lox but hey I'm from texas. Personaly I hate salmon but the wife loves it and I want to cook it for her. But for me it is like the worst, and if I and to try it would kill me thats how I am with salmon. I dont like any fish really.

JJC

Definitely try warm-smoked, and use Kummock's recipe (or mine if you want a more traditional brine, but I would try Kummocks the first time out--it's delicious and as easy as salmon smoking gets).

I had lots of friends who really disliked salmon or even fish in general, and had to be coaxed to taste smoked salmon.  They still don't like salmon or fish in general, but they love the smoked salmon!  You might find yourself falling into this category . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

Here in California, my wife loves lox! I call it bait!  Hot smoked salmon is the only I will eat and enjoy salmon unless I am grilling a small piece.  Just a halibut lover.  The Salmon is just a little too intense for me!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.