My day of thanks

Started by OldHickory, November 25, 2011, 03:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

It is just my wife and I, but this day has always been special.  We said yes, we will have a turkey.

Here is the main attraction: Out of the 24 hr brine and ready for seasoning

Seasoned and into the refer for O.N. Now into the Bradley.    After 3 hr smoke/cook @ 220*

The IT was 141* when I put it into the SRG to finish cooking and crisp up the skin.  Target IT @160*, out of the SRG with IT @163*, FTC for 1 hr

My wife now has the table set.

It's time to serve.

There is cranberry salad, turkey and gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoe caserole, rolls, Southern cornbread dressing (like my Mom used to make ) with gravy --- and a pumpkin pie that my Wife made, with streusel topping and whipped cream.  The pie was the best I have ever tasted.  It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and my Wife and I are very thankful for our many blessings.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

tsquared

Looks like a tasty dinner, OH. I haveyet to smoke a whole turkey but that looks so good I'm going to have to give it a try.
T2 

mlp311

Looks awesome. Im looking forward to trying a whole turkey.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Sacrifice

Looks like a nice turkey and dinner.  I really need to get some of those turkey napkin holders. 

mikecorn.1

Nice tan on that bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kummok

Great looking meal, Old Hickory! Is that the rack from The Big Easy?  Mine doesn't have the wide metal band around the center and I was just wondering?

OldHickory

Quote from: Kummok on November 26, 2011, 02:47:49 PM
Great looking meal, Old Hickory! Is that the rack from The Big Easy?  Mine doesn't have the wide metal band around the center and I was just wondering?

Yes.  I purchased my Big Easy SRG about two weeks ago.  This may be a later model than yours.  This was only my 2nd cook using the SRG.  Like all the others, it will take a little getting used to, but I like it now and know it will only get better.  I think it is a good tandem with the Bradley, and so many others here have similar opinions with good experiences and beautiful posts.  Have more fun.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

OU812

Great looking bird there Old timer.  ;D

The table setting looks top shelf,,,,,,we had a turkey with all the fixings on our day also.

The Bradley and the inferred cooking system go hand in hand when your cookin poultry.

OldHickory

Your comments are appreciated Curt.  Your previous posts have been things of beauty with good info for all. I am trying to learn and follow your experience.  Thanks.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

Kummok

I'm still learning TBE too...I now know to NOT put the Bradley puck catcher bowl on top of TBE to keep snow out.... :o :o

TMB

I give you a 9.0  (would have been a 10 but I didn't get an invite)  :o

No really, that birds looks great and I love the fact you can smoke it in the Bradley with the SRG basket and then remove it and set it in the SRG chamber.

I hope you get the smoker box problem fixed soon   
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Rainmaker

Sorry to be late to be replying to this post.  I am thinking of doing our Christmas turkey the same way.  What was the rub/seasoning that you used?  Did you have the SRG on high with the lid closed?  Our turkey looks to be a little bigger - 13 lbs

OldHickory

Rainmaker, The turkey was  in 2 1/2 gal Hefty bag of brine (1 C Kosher salt, dissolved in 1 gal water, juice and rind if 3 lemons ) with the air squezed out, for 24hr in ice cooler covered with ice.  The brine was cooled before adding the turkey.  Turkey removed rinsed well and patted dry.  Seasoning: 1tbs bl pepper, 1tbs smoked paprika,  1/2tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/3 C OO, into a bowl and mix well.  Rub seasonings generously on the turkey, into the refer until time to put into the pre heated Bradley ( 210* )  Hickory smoke the total time to IT of 140*, then into the SRG,( suggest on low, I did mine on high and it was probably too much too quick ), lid down until IT of 160*out and rest for at least 15 min preferably FTC until time to carve and serve.  If you don't have the SRG  :'( you can do the last step in a 375* oven.  Good luck and good smoking to you.  Let us see some pic's how it came out.     
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

Rainmaker

Thanks Old Hickory.  I have an SRG so will be using that.  Hope to post pictures afterwards.