PID or BBQ Guru Raptor and Competitor Pkg.

Started by nodak, December 31, 2005, 02:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drano38</i>
<br />I'm sure the Raptor works great, but being the cheap skate I am, I got a Love model TS-13010 direct from the company for $50.  It will run 16 amps.  
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/temperature/SeriesTSPrice.cfm
Their tech staff was great, and hook up is simple.  They assured me the contacts are durable enough to handle the ~650 watts of the Bradley.
I can set the temp +/- range and the temp I want to maintian.
I need to mount mine in a plastic equipment box I got at Radio Shack w/ a hot and switched plugin mounted in the box--currently sits on the edge of the smoke generator and all the wires hang out the back.  
I've only used it about 4 times, but it works great.
Good luck w/ whatever you choose.
Drano

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What is required to wire this PID and connect it to the Bradley? I would like to order one but wondering what else is required.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Be forwarned. <b>The TS is NOT a PID controller.</b> Will it do the job? I think so. To help with Temp swings once your box is hot then slide your BS controller back closer to center. It will not take you long to figure out where to leave the slider. After that the TS should do just fine.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

drano38

Thats correct, the TS is only an on/off switch, and sliding the Bradely temp control down once the smoker is stabilzed at your desired temp will reduce the on/off cycling.  
The TS has a small LED on the front of it that illuminates to show that it is providing power to the Bradley.
Also, the +/- temp variance can be set.  I think I have mine at +/- 3 deg, for a 6 degree spread.
The TS is not as good as a PID, but at $49 and simple setup, it works well for me.
Drano

nodak

Drano that sounds like a great economical alternative, unfortunately I jumped the gun and got a raptor. Thanks for info. may use it in future and will pass it on to a buddy of mine, that may be in the market.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"><b><font color="blue">The TS is not as good as a PID</font id="blue"></b></font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I think the correct statement is the TS is not as effective as a PID controller, and that is important in some cases... With  that said someone name me one item we smoke ... to include sausage ... that a 3 degree spread would hurt... I cannot think of one.

Believe it or not I have two TS. One for myself and one I'm sending to a friend.... Did I look at PID... yes. However, I got the TS in the beginning thinking it is a PID controller. Frankly it is so easy to hook up it is scary. Does it do the job? Yepper I'm very pleased...and I sleep at night good~~!

Is this to say you should not get a PID controller... no if you want one then get one... it will work very well. Sometimes folks like us begin to split hairs. It is up to you which hair or which hair not to split.

The TS works well... the medium box from Radio Shack will work.

For years I use to "feel" the smoke to tell the temp... now I'm lazy in my old age.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

I just ordered the TS-13010. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes.

iceman

Thanks for all the info guys. I DO NOT use my Bradley cabinet much so the slider control is out of the equation. The smoke generators are mounted on my larger commercial size smokers. I'm a fanatic about things being just right but as Olds said I couldn't think of anything that I would ever smoke that would get ruined by a 3 or 4 degree variance. Olds has seen one of my units and knows what I'm talking about so I think I'll try the TS first and see what happens. Thanks again for all the info.[8D]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

nodak

OK tell me if I'm whacked again, but Raptor is going back I'm disappointed not only in price!!! Was going to smoke sausage this weekend.  I found out the Competitor's lowest setting is 175F wanted to set it at 165F?. So plan is to order the TS model Monday morning asap unless advised otherwise.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I found out the Competitor's lowest setting is 175F wanted to set it at 165F</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">175 F is a killer for sausage.

Olds

TomG

FYI ya all, the TS controller was pretty well covered in the thread http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2424&whichpage=1

Norbert had the clever idea of removing the stock temp. slide from the front panel and replacing it with a TS controller, making it unnecessary to box the controller externally.  If you wanted to keep the slide, I think there's enough room to cut a second hole in the panel for the controller.  Apparently he had no problem with heat buildup in the bottom compartment and I think the 16A TS relay was enough to handle at least 1200 watts of heat element without a SSR.

nodak

OOPS! I just read the competitors' directions a little more, They say to put both probes in tin foil to fool it at holding meat temp setting. Which won't be a problem as I have remote thermometer I will also use for meat temp that has an alarm on it.  

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, Will keep it as my wife likes the idea of hold temp feature to make it a little more care free(believe she's thinking I can get some of that honey do list done easier).  Also I want to smoke a butt tonight and sausage on Sunday.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">FYI ya all, the TS controller was pretty well covered in the thread http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2424&whichpage=1

Norbert had the clever idea of removing the stock temp. slide from the front panel and replacing it with a TS controller, making it unnecessary to box the controller externally.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not a good idea to remove the temperature slider for two reasons. First, leaving it in place will allow more control over temperature swings. Second, removing it will render your BS useless if you have any problems with your controller.

Also, for those of you in colder climates like me, check the specs. on your unit, whatever you buy, for the minimum ambient operating temperature.

Bubbagump

TomG

Hi Bubba,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Not a good idea to remove the temperature slider for two reasons. First, leaving it in place will allow more control over temperature swings.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> If you're using a thermocouple controlled switching system ie: TS, PID,Guru,Paktronics, the swings will be minimal.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Second, removing it will render your BS useless if you have any problems with your controller.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If that happens you can reinstall the slide or replace the controller. My bet is that the slide will fail long before the  other controllers.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also, for those of you in colder climates like me, check the specs. on your unit, whatever you buy, for the minimum ambient operating temperature. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where can I find that info for my BS?

Thanks-Tom-

nodak

I think I have a problem with my Guru/Competitor I'm seeing wide temp variance.  It will run 15-20F higher than where I set it Than after 6 hours it seems to settle in and run right.  I sand do as good job with slider.  Is this thing malfunctioning??????  Guess I'll call them Monday morning.  Anyone experience similar[?][?][?]  Is there a minimum Ambient temp I didn't see???

bubbagump

Hi TomG,

The specs. should be listed in the literature you get with your controller.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you're using a thermocouple controlled switching system ie: TS, PID,Guru,Paktronics, the swings will be minimal<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As far as temperature swings go, the thermocouple has nothing to do with it. It is just sending the temp. to the controller.

The controller, which can be a PID, or thermostat like the TS, is what will determine the temp. swings. A PID will adjust its output as the temp. appoaches setpoint, thus eliminating overshoot and from there it will <u>maintain</u> setpoint. The TS on the other hand, just simply turns off the heating element when it reaches setpoint and turns it back on when goes below, within the deadband set.

The problem with using the TS, or any thermostat controller, without using the slide control is that the residual heat from the element will cause wider temp. swings. This will be even more of a problem for those that have added additional heat to the box.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If that happens you can reinstall the slide or replace the controller.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree, you can replace the slide if controller goes bad but that is not something you will be able to with the BS full of meat.

When I installed my PID I left the slide in place and just set it all the way to the right. I also installed SPDT switch on the back of the smoke generator so that if my PID where to crap out all I have to do is flip the switch and the BS temp. is then controlled by the slide rheostat on the front.

Bubbagump

TomG

Hi Bubba, I understand that the thermocouple is just a sensor.  I mentioned it only to differentiate the controllers that use a thermocouple (PIDs, TS, and the Paktronics) from the BS rheostat controller.  Since many posters seemed to either have purchased or were considering purchasing a TS, I thought that Norbert's installation might be of interest to them as an option to mounting the switch in a separate box with external wiring. I'm sitting on two PIDs and a Paktronics, all of which work well, but if I had to do it over I think I would get a 16 amp TS and mount it in the BS control panel, either in place of the slide or next to it.  Call me thick, but I still don't understand how if the slide is all the way to the right and is being over ridden by a thermostat it can effect residual heat from the stock BS cooking element.

Nodak, sorry, I know this exchange isn't helping you with your Guru problems.  I'm sure TheBBQGuru will come to the rescue.