Brine and Rub?

Started by JML54, November 22, 2011, 11:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well I personally like poultry although the only poultry my uncle will eat is eggs! He feels as you do. As far as yucky birds I have raised about any farm raised meat there is except fish. And even a cow and especially a pig will eat any thing even dead meat. I also worked in one of the top meat processing plants in Ohio. We processed beef and pork and if you only knew what happened there you would,t eat any packing plant meat. Because if we were tops the rest would scare the hell out of me. I quit eating meat for a year and a half while working there. Meat at room temp what ever kind for an hour or two is the least of any ones worries. LOL I try to buy most of mine these days from locals I trust.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JML54

Serve safe standards say to get your meat (all meats) through the danger zone as fast as possible.  Danger zone being above 41 and below 135.  That said, on Thursday I warmed the well dried bird to room temp oiled and rubbed (Jan's).  It was delicious.  The real surprise was how well the rub worked.  Due to time constraints I did not brine. Just smoked smoked for 4 hours then finished in a HOT Weber Kettle.  Skin was crisp and the meat was moist and full of flavor.  Really couldn't have asked for a better presentation. 

Kummok

I have to laugh a little (at myself!) when I see "hang time" or thaw times being discussed...it's really a wonder that I'm not dead of food poisoning already. Many of you have already seen my posts addressing "how long in the freezer/reefer?" questions  :o    In many Alaskan hunts involving aircraft transport, exact pickup times are "subject to change, depending upon weather, mechanicals, or just general mood of the pilot or pilot's spouse" and we've eaten hung meat after cutting out fly blow, I've eaten my great uncle's olives that he dips out of crock pots full of slimy mold on top of the brine, dry salami after cutting off the mold, countless food drops on the ground that exceeded the "5 second rule", salmon that has been in the freezer for three years....in fact, the turkey I just brined/smoked/TBE'd was a "counter thaw" (but only until there was some ice chunks left in the cavity...then rinsed out in cold water.) Certainly not bragging about an iron stomach, just sharing how well my guardian angel has cared for me over the last 61 years  :o   

viper125

Well safe safety standards also say throw away meat at on a certain date (which I don't) Remove any meat with salt as a additive  after 2-3 months (which I don't) I have eaten frozen 3 year old venison. 2 year old frozen beef  a lot of standards are for best taste. I developed my ways over the years from others that did it also. Have never seen or heard of any poison or disease from any food. Not saying i'm right or wrong.  Only what I know. I am sure though if you follow the rules you will be safe, But it's like a lot of my old recipes they don''t always follow public opinion.
Inside setup.

Kummok

LOL Viper...perhaps we'll meet someday in ER!  ;) ;) :D

viper125

Well never know! But I don't think so or what to. Maybe over a smoker some day would be better. LOL
Inside setup.