2nd Butt Taking a Long Time

Started by JZ, November 27, 2011, 05:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I am doing my second butt today and put it in the DBS at 4:00 am. The Butt weighs 5.5 lbs and it has now been 13hrs and the IT is only 167*. I read on other threads that you should count on 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb and I figured to allow 2hrs. But I recall now that I did the same thing last time and it took a lot longer. Last time I ended up finishing it in the oven at 325 until the IT was 190. But it wasn't fall apart tender. The taste was great but not as tender as I hoped. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not.

I am thinking that the time required might be related to the temp swings on the smoker. I don't have a PID and just rely on the smoker. I have the temp set at 220* but noticed that it gets up to 220* then coasts back down to 203* before the heating element fires up again. So 2 hrs ago I turned the DBS temp setting up to 230*. I guess next time I will start at 230* and or allow for more time.

We are getting hungry and I am tempted to pull the Butt and just carve it up. Will it be tender or should I make something else for dinner and just wait for the IT to get to 190. Also wonder if it is necessary to FTC. As I understand it FTC will let the IT rise, but isn't the same thing accomplished by just cooking it longer?????????

FLBentRider

If you carve it now, it will not be as tender as you want.

That seems like a long time, I would push the temp to 250F

FTC lets the temp coast a little, and I think it lets it coast to the pulling temp, having said that, I have pulled them right out of the smoker and they were fine.

I like 195-200F for a nice tender IT for a pork butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RFT

The butt I did last weekend (7.5lb) took around 16hrs to reach IT of 192 at a cooking temp of 225
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

JZ

Thanks Guys

After I posted I went to check on the roast and dam if the smoker wasn't off......... forgot to turn the time up on the heater and it turned off. I turned the smoker back on and the IT of the box was 122*. I have now set the heater at 250 and we ate something else for dinner. Looks like it will be a long night. The IT of the roast dropped to 160*.

RFT

Time for a PID and bigger element.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Habanero Smoker

I pull my butt at a lower temperature. Anyway, not only do I go by temperature, but I also perform the fork tests. When it is fork ready I take it out, I don't like my pork mushy.

For pulled pork, it is done when the fork can be inserted easily, and twisted easily.

For sliced pork, it is ready when the fork can be inserted and removed easily.

So then next time you are close to your ideal temperature, and running out of time, use the fork test. It may be ready to serve.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Thanks Habs

At 9:00 pm it hit 190 (17 hrs) and I pulled it off the smoker. I didn't FTC ... just started pulling it and the meat fell off the bone cleanly. The meat was also very tender.

It sat in the fridge in an airtight container overnight and I had a sammie for lunch. It was very good but I was looking for a little more smoke flavour. Thought I might put the pulled meat back on the smoker for 20 mins or so but think that might dry it out too much. Has anyone done this?

Habanero Smoker

After a day or so, the smoke flavor, that is mostly contained in the bark, will marry with the meat and you will get a nice smoke flavor.

I always shave the bark off, chop it up really small and mix it well with the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ