jerky 101

Started by cnelles, December 31, 2005, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnelles

Trying to make jerky in my new Bradely smoker . It does not seem to be drying . It has been on for about eight hours. Any help would Help Chris

Chris Nelles

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Chris . . . I'm not a jerky maker, but I hope one of the other resident experts we have will come to your aid soon.  In the meantime, you might gtry doing a search for jerky to double-check what you've done against others' recipes/approaches . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

Your top vent should be wide open to allow moisture to escape. There is also the question of how thick your jerky is. Should be about 1/4 inch. If you have a full load it takes time. Also its a good idea to take out a sample and let sit for a few minutes to get a better idea of texture.

liquid25

Like Phone Guy said - top vent open.

There are also other factors - box temp, ambient temp, wind, humidity, etc. Don't get discouraged - the BS can produce some very good jerky.

You will get some great advice here if you tell us more about your situation.

car54

Thanks jerkyg that is some usefull info.

Brad

nodak

Glad to see you back JERKYG, I was hoping some people manners wouldn't keep you away.  Happy NEW YEAR!!!

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

JJC

Thanks for chipping in, jerkyg--hope we see more often!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

TomG

Ahhh!!!!!  So when I make my first batch of jerky do I open or close the damn damper[?][?][?][?]

liquid25

Hell, I don't know. The Jerky Guy says to close it, and the articles he provided also say that. Sorry for giving bad advice. I've been doing it wrong all these years :(  anyone else?

jerkyg

TomG and Liquid25...

Y'all did not read the articles.  How do I know that?  By your replies.

I spent hundreds of hours searching and reading every article I could find as I looked for the answer to perfect my methods and safe jerky.  I will not do your homework for you.  If you would only read between the "lines" of my original Christmas gift...and what I have now shared.  Maybe now you can understand my frustration as I share this information.

Re-read the articles...do your research...and you will find your answers.

Jon Beltran
The Jerky Guy Co.

liquid25

Very good articles Jerky Guy. I actualy did read them but responded incorrectly by saying you said to close them.

Thanks again for the valuable information.

Anyone curious about proper drying, safety, use of dampers, etc. should read ALL of those articles.

jerkyg

Thanks Liquid25, your welcome.

As I am extremely busy, this will be my last post for awhile.

It should be noted that following the proper use of dampers/humidity, will also give you a much better finished product (mouth feel), etc.

You should also be aware that 98% of the time, if you deviate from these methods, you will not kill anyone when using store bought, whole muscle meat.  But you should definitely use caution when you process venison.  The field dressing and post care (cooling, aging) of the carcass is of the upmost importance.  And is where numerous pathogens can be introduced.  Be especially leery when the venison has been given to you and you have no actual hands-on history of the care of the carcass.

The most affected by a tainted product are children and the elderly...and for you youngsters out there...that is not someone over 30! [:D]

"Food poisoning" can take up to 72 hours to manifest recognizable symptoms.

Also, contrary to popular posts here and elsewhere...properly processed jerky can be kept for a several months in the fridge.  If it is vacuum packaged, you can extend that for many more months whether refrigerated or not.  Vacuum packaging also extends the mouth feel and flavor tenfold.  But, it must have been cooked/smoked/dried in accordance to proven methods.

Research, study, experiment.

Be safe.

Jon Beltran
The Jerky Guy Co.

TomG

You're wrong JerkyG,  I did read the articles and thanks to you now know much more about how the time/temp/humidity parameters affect pathogen population log reduction, lethality compliance and its relationship to home drying jerky meat.  Hell, I even started looking for a digital wet bulb thermometer on eBay.  I'm exhausted from spending the last 30 years searching for the meaning of life, can someone, anyone please, please tell me how to make a quality, safe, smoked beef jerky with my BS?[:)]

P.S.... I'll be happy to reciprocate with the life changing results of my 3 decade quest.

nodak

That makes two of us arrogant jerkyg!!!!!!!!!!!  Guess some of these guys had you pegged from the start.  Guess I owe the guys an apology for sticking-up for you(in earlier thread) when they jumped on you.  I always believe in giving somebody a chance. First time is shame on you, second time would me shame on me and that's not goin happen! Yes, you do have a wealth of knowledge (although arrogance too) nobody here is trying to get secrets out of you, we can't compete nor do we want to. For the most part were just a bunch of average(hunters, fisherman, outdoorsman, backyard bbqers) guys BBQ'ing. Aft

Like the commercials say "character counts"

Jerkyg have fun counting your money, maybe someday you will figure out what this forum is for (sharing, helping, Camaraderie). nobody asked you to give away any of your secrets, like everbody else here you offered advice, you can be as specific as your comfortable with.

Sorry guys, please accept my apology for being a bad judge of character.

Do you think money can make an unhappy person happy[?] My guess is not!

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

car54

<font face="Impact"><font size="6"><font color="red">This is getting way too nasty, I do not think jerkyg has done anything wrong! Is this the way the forum should treat someone who is trying to get someone to learn by reading instead of just being told what we want to know. I always learn better is I research things on my own with some steered direction, which seems to me what jerkyg has done
</font id="red">

Brad</font id="size6"></font id="Impact">